Diego to the rescue

Warnings: mentions of drinking and death

BTW I'm giving Pidguki some love in this fic because that ship is so underappreciated. 

There had to be a way to fix this, to fix the mess his parents got into. But what could he do? His dad was dead and his papa? Well, he just kept getting worse. He was getting scared and desperately tried to think of a way to change all this. 

Okay, Diego, think... what would dad do? What would dad do? Well, he'd probably kiss papa but it'd be weird if I did that... Weird... Pidge... Pidge is weird. I wonder what she's up to these days. Hey, didn't Pidge make that thingy? Yeah, the thingy that goes fwuUpZuwoo. Pretty sure it sounds like tha- yeah! That could work! Wow, I'm so good at thinking thoughts.

Diego got up from his bed and silently creeped out the window. He carefully climbed down his house and made a run for it. Well, up to his car, at least. 

Shit, I forgot the keys... well, I've always wanted to hotwire a car and desperate times call for desperate measures. 

I could just sneak back inside... Another more reasonable thought popped into his head. Diego rolled his eyes and started to access the wires.

Don't be ridiculous, that's so much work that I don't need to do. Diego countered as he struggled to find the right red wire.

I'm such an idiot. Diego thought to himself as he finally managed to get the car started. He drove away from his house and made his way to Pidge's house (listening to the greatest showman soundtrack because god damn that was a great movie).  When he arrived, he ran out of the car and furiously knocked on the door. After a minute, Pidge's wife Luki opened the door, looking done with everything, as per usual.

"Who are you?" She asked. She crossed her top arms as her other pair of arms were on her hips. 

"I'm Deigo," He replied. Her face softened as she tilted her head. 

"Keith and Lance's kid? Hey, man. It's been a while, come on in," She said as she gestured for him to come in. He did so and moved his white hair out of his face. 

"How's Lance holding up?" She asked. Deigo sat at the table as she started to get some water going for tea. He looked around and noticed a few toys. Last time he knew,  Luki and Pidge didn't have a kid, but maybe he was mistaken? The last time he saw them was when he was eight, and that was ten years ago. 

"Not very well. I've been trying to get him to, like, do things with me but all he ever does is stay home and drink. He's just been getting worse and I was hoping I could talk to Pidge? I know she used to create a bunch of weird time transporters and whatnot and I was thinking I could somehow stop my dad from dying?" Deigo admitted. Luki sadly smiled and sighed. She sat in front of Deigo and extended her arm and ruffled his hair. 

"I know this is very hard for you, especially since Lance wouldn't let you go to the funeral... But Deigo, did Lance ever tell you how Keith died?" Luki asked. He looked at his hands. 

"He said that he went peacefully and painlessly, but it could've been avoided," Deigo responded. 

"And do you believe him?" 

"I... I want to," Deigo mumbled. He sighed and pulled on a strand of hair. He glanced up at Luki. 

"I'm guessing... that wasn't the case?" He hesitantly asked. 

"Deigo, your dad was sick for... a long time. He was often in pain and the kind of treatment he needed... it was expensive. It was very expensive. He and Lance couldn't afford it and Lance... he kept blaming himself when Keith died. 'I should've tried harder.' 'I should've gotten a better job, one that paid good money.' 'I should've, I should've, I should've.' Then he cut all of us off from communication, and we tried to reach out to him, please know that we really did. But what Keith had, it was incurable. There was nothing anybody could've done and even if he could afford all that treatment, it might've kept him alive, but he would've been in pain for a long time," Luki explained. Deigo tried to stop the tears from streaming down his face but... he's never talked to anyone about his dad.