Remember

The first time we met, I was your pet dog. You were my human and I loved you very much. So much so, that I would do anything to protect you. And I did.

When those people broke into our house, I fought them off. I won, but at a price.

Please stay strong. We'll meet again, I promise, I was thinking to myself. And then everything went white.

The next time I met you, I was a human and I was so excited to find you again. When I did, you were in the hospital, dying from a disease that wasn't known. I would often visit you and we would laugh and laugh.

And I loved you, so very much.

One day, we were sitting together talking about the little things when you started crying. I asked what was wrong and you told me "I don't want to lose you again. I'm not going to be here much longer and the next time we meet, I don't know if I'll remember you." And you were so sad that I became sad. I promised I wouldn't let that happen.

Then, the next morning, I went to visit you and you were gone. Passed away in your sleep. I hoped it wasn't painful.

The next time I met you, I was a little girl. I remember I was sad because some mean girl came over and stole my chocolate pudding. Then you hopped up to me, your hair in high pigtails and with a bright toothy smile, you sat next to me and offered your pudding. You didn't remember me, but I knew it was you. I knew it was you because of those eyes. No matter what form, I will always remember those eyes.

And I told you we knew each other and that we had met in past lives. Thank goodness we were little enough that you believed me. If I told you when we were thirteen, I don't know what might have happened if I tried telling you.

We grew up together, very close. We'd often have sleepovers and you would throw popcorn at my face whenever I said something stupid.

We were only twenty when we were cornered in that alley. You did everything you could to protect me, and you ended up paying the price. As I watched your blood flow from your head, I felt myself leaving as well. Oh, well. We lasted longer in this life then we did that last.

For over hundreds of lives, I have met you, been able to get to know you all over again. And not one life had you been able to remember me. It hurt, but I always pushed forward, knowing you might not ever remember me. I love you, I love all versions of you.

I just wish you'd stop putting your life before mine, before others. I just wish you could outlive me for once.

This life, I wondered what it would be like if I forgot you. I hate that I did, but I was curious. I wondered if you would find me, instead of the other way around. And you did. You were convinced we were rivals.

As we got closer, I never mentioned how I have met you many times over. But one thing that I always loved about finding you again was how I always learned something new about yourself.

I was willing to let you into my life without question, but you kept hesitating. So when we had our bonding moment and the next morning when I brought it up and you said you forgot? That hurt me more than anything. Not because we were getting closer, but because you forgot. You keep forgetting everything. And you never remember.

I don't know why you don't.

I'm sorry I left you and the team. I just wanted to keep you safe and I wanted you to feel important.

I'm sorry I almost sacrificed myself. I was scared and in the heat of the moment, it seemed like the right thing to do.

I'm sorry I left you for so long.

But I'm back and this time I'm going to get it right.

You're my right-hand man, I trust you with my life. I trust you with the team when I'm not around.

We're on earth, in your hospital room, talking about everything. Why we haven't been close, what's been keeping us away from each other, and sorting through our problems.

That's when you tell me "I don't know why I ever thought you were my rival. I guess... maybe I was upset? You never talked to me and you seemed so cool. I just wanted to be friends, but it was pretty clear you weren't going to approach me anytime soon. And I was too nervous to do anything about it."

You were waiting for me to find you. But I didn't. I wonder how this life would have gone if I did.

"But that's all in the past. I'm just glad that we're, like, best friends now. So, I've decided to stop focusing on the past and just kinda... chill out here in the present. Did that sound cheesy? That probably sounded cheesy. Sorry."

It wasn't cheesy.

We're still on earth, after the war. Everything has settled down and so have we.

Not once in any of our past lives have we been in a relationship. Not one except for now.

Now I can say my 'I love you' out loud, we can wake up next to each other, share dreams.

You often have dreams about a little boy and his pet dog, a man in a hospital talking with his best friend, and two women who had a crazy ordinary life.

And I am so happy because, in a small way, you do remember.

In our next life, I have white hair, you have heterochromia, and we're living in a cyberpunk world. And we find each other.

And you remember.   

Art by Ikimaru

Yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo guess who's not dead. Me. Me not dead. 

So, yeah. This is the story. This is it. The thing. Hallelujah. 

Alright well.

Stay awesome, my fabulous t-rexs!

-Adrian