“I haven’t talked about him for, what, the past three days? I’ve only known him about a week, Mom.”

                She laughs, and says, “I know, but he seems like a very nice boy.”

                “We’re lab partners, so I see him every time I have physics,” I explain. “We have to do a project together though, so I’ll probably end up seeing some more of him. Happy now?”

                “Very.”

                The sound of a car pulling up outside has me stand up from the couch. I give my mom a quick kiss on the cheek then head to the door.

                “Are you absolutely sure you don’t want to take –?”

                “Yes, Mom. It’s fine, really. I’ll see you… Um… Tomorrow, I guess! Bye!” I hurry as fast as my one-inch heels will let me down the drive, and slide into the back of Summer’s blue Ford, since Marcus has taken shotgun.

                “Hey!” she trills.

                “Hey,” Marcus grunts.

                “Tiff said the party’s started, so we’ll be right on time,” Summer tells me.

                “Awesome. I like your dress by the way, it’s really nice.”

                “Oh, thanks!” She turns in her seat, hand frozen on the gear stick, just before she pulls off. “You look amazing, Madison, why didn’t you want to wear the dress?”

                I shrug, even though she can’t see the gesture since she’s turned back to face the windscreen. “I don’t know. But thanks.”

                She laughs. “Marc, you remembered to put the beers in the trunk, right?”

                “Course I did.”

                “Just checking. Did you bring drink, Madison?”

                “Uh, no, I didn’t want to.”

                “Oh! Well that’s fair enough, I suppose. We’ve got plenty of drink if you want anything though.”

                “Thanks, but I don’t think I will.”

                “Offer’s there if you want it,” Marcus tells me, then he bumps up the stereo so that unless you sing along to the radio, it’s just loud enough to put a hold on any and all conversation. I don’t know if it’s just because he doesn’t want to talk to me or because he’s not very talkative himself, but when Summer squeals excitedly and cries, “Ooh, I love this song!” and I see the little smile that lights up Marcus’ face, and I know he turned it up just for her.

 *

It doesn’t take very long to get to Tiffany’s house. I haven’t visited her before. We hung out at the milkshake bar one night, and Wednesday we went to Melissa’s after school. I’ve heard various snatches of conversation and caught the odd comment about Tiffany’s house though. From what I’ve gathered, it’s big and expensive.

                When Summer slows on the stretch of road outside Tiffany’s house before pulling onto her long driveway, I get my first glimpse of it.

                It doesn’t let me down.

                For one thing, there are gates outside. The big electric gates that keep unwanted and unwelcome guests out, and have an intercom at the side. The gates are already open as we pull through them.