Karma meets the parent

"Nagisa, I'm still nervous. Are you sure she'll like me?"

"Of course. She has no idea you have homicidal tendencies, and I've only ever spoken well about you. Just smile and breathe. It's only one meal."

"Right." I take a deep breath in, putting on the kindest smile I can manage.

"

"He's attractive. He's smart. He has money."
"Marry him."

"Mom! I-..."

"I said get him to marry you."

"Yes, Mother."

"Good! Now let that pretty hair down. No man wants to marry that ugly style. Ah, so feminine. I wish I'd had long hair like that. If he's meeting me he already must like you. And most boys only want one thing at this age, so give it to him." She better not be touching his hair, and I don't want that. I want him to like me as much as I like him. I mean, sure, eventually it'd be nice, but not until we're older and more comfortable with it.

"What?" Good, he knows that was insane.

"If he asks, you're his. It's the only way to get him to stick around until you're of age." Bullshit!

"Mother..." He isn't actually considering this, right?! For fucks sake!

"Oh, you're back! I'll go out and get the dessert."

"You let your hair down."

"The band was old and it snapped, so I took the other one out." Liar.

"Do you have any more? I'll put it back up for you. You look cuter when you like your hair."

"No, they're all upstairs, I don't want to leave you with her."

"Well, lucky us, I have one. Do you want me to pull it up?"

"No, it's okay. You like playing with it like this, right?"

"Only when we're alone. You sure you don't want it up? Won't it get in your food?"

"If you want it up, you can."

"Nagisa, I need to know what you want."

"Puddings! What flavor would you like?"

"Would you mind if I excused us for a moment?"

"No problem! I'll wait as long as you need."

-/-/-

"Why do you like me?"

"Karma? I-"

"Is it only because she would like me? Because 'I have money' or 'I'm smart'? What is it?"

"What?" It's barely a whisper.

"Are you dating me because she would approve or because you want to?"

"You heard us, didn't you..."

"I don't just want you for sex, just as I hope that you don't just want me for money. I came to meet your mother, is that not enough proof for you that I'm serious?"

"I'm sorry!" He cries into my chest. So that's it... he really only acted for his mothers approval. I should go. I pull his arms from my shoulders. "Please! Don't leave me... I don't know what I feel right now, but I don't think I can lose you. You know how she is! I'll do anything for you, I promise! I can be anything you want!"

"Is that what you want?"

"I think so."

"Is it what she wants?"

"Yes..."

"You need to differ the two before I can trust that you love me."

"What do I have to do to make you stay?! Please!"

"Stop thinking I need anything from you! I just want you to love me back, is that too much to ask? Love isn't something that should need to be taken. I need you to give it to me. You can come with me if you want, but I'm leaving. We don't have to talk now, but we will. I'm going to wait in the car for thirty seconds, and if you're in it, we can leave together. If not, I'm coming back in, telling your mother off, making sure you're safe, then leaving for sure."

"Okay."

"I'm heading out now. You can make your choice."