My new toy (pt2)

The bluenette hops away. I watch him for a moment before processing his words.

"Hey!" I'm not his pet! Get back here! I chase after him, he notices, opting to break into a sprint as well. I can hear him laughing when he rounds the first corner. I think he knows where he's going?

"Can't scare me if you can't catch me!" He laughs, taking another sharp turn down an alley. I almost slip as I turn to follow.

"Stop running! Where are you going?"

"Somewhere fun." He laughs, picking up speed.

"But where?!" I shout after him. He ignores me.

-/-/-

"This... is right above our den. How did you find this?"

"When we were friends... I followed you here. I was trying to scare you but you looked around and slipped into this hill before I could. I came back a lot, and sat here. It's peaceful." He stares out at the trees, taking a slow breath as the wind blows.

"Is that how you knew? About... about me?" I scoot closer to him.

"Well, partly. You kind of, uh, growl? In your sleep? And... you... well, you kind of changed in front of me once. You probably don't remember."

"When was this?" How could I be so careless?!

"Well... it was maybe our third sleep over? You were itching a fit and acting jumpy all night. After I told you I was going to bed you said you'd sleep on the couch. I got to my room and heard the backdoor open but when I looked out my window all I saw was you, in my yard, change into some dog and jump over my fence."

"I'm sorry you got roped into this."

"Don't be."

"Can I kiss you?"

"Please."

-/-/-

"Karma! He's feverish!" Isogai catches me as I trip into the den. A few more boys come after me, helping to support my body as my legs give out. What the hell is happening to me?

"Get me into a cell." I manage a low growl. I'm obviously not safe to be around. It could be contagious. I can feel my hands shaking. They sit me on a bed in one of our cells. We built these to keep each other quarantined for any reason necessary, usually early turns that we didn't prepare for and sicknesses that we don't want spreading. Everyone but Isogai leaves quickly.

"I'm going to check your temperature. We need to know what's wrong." He pulls a first aid kit out of a desk in the corner.

"Get out." I lean back on the sheets. My stomach feels like it's exploding.

"Make all the fit you want, I'm still feeding you medicine."

"Get me a fever reducer and leave!"

"Let me figure out what's wrong first!" He flips through a book of lore. Really? We're still using that? "Oh no."

"What?" I hunch forward. Why is my skin burning?!

"Damn it, Akabane."

"What the fuck did I do?"