Chapter 31: In Denial

Tuesday June 2, 2020 - Tampa, Florida

Joe POV

3:36 AM

Mmmmm...I love my bed. It's so big and soft and warm and comfy. This thing was not cheap but it was worth every penny. I'm in a deep and peaceful sleep, nothing on my body but my durag and boxer briefs. Things are calm and peaceful until...

"AHHHHH! NOOO!"

My eyes shoot open, I jump out the bed, and dart straight to Aesha's room where she's sitting straight up in bed, her chest quickly heaving and her breaths are fast and shallow. I quickly kneel on the side of the bed and turn her face to me.

"Aesha! Baby, are you okay?"
"I-I, he...he was and-the car...I-I—"

I sit down and pull her into me and hold her close while she closes her eyes and catches her breath.

"Shhh, it's okay, it's alright, I'm here and you're safe. No one's gonna hurt you, I promise."

I hear her breathing gradually slow and I look down at her.

"You okay?" I ask and she looks up at me.
"Yeah, I-I'm fine. I just...my mind is still...ugh."

She buries her face in my chest and I look around us, surveying the room before I scoot her over and slip under the covers with her, her head resting on my chest and my arms tightly wrapped around her.

"I need a therapist." She says after a few moments and I just laugh at her.
"You've been through some shit but I promise you that you're safe here. Rufus can't hurt you anymore, Paulette won't do anything, I'm here, you're safe with me."

She lets out a relieved sounding sigh and snuggles closer to me.

"You shouldn't have to protect me, no one should, but I'm so tired of trying to protect myself. Why do people hate me?" She says and I softly rub her back.
"Some people hate to see how much more bright and talented someone is than they are. You're a great person and people only want to hurt you because they wish people loved them the way people love you. Your parents told me a little about your past, about Rufus hitting you; he'll never hurt you ever again, no one will and I will see to it. You won't have to always be on your guard because I'll be your shield, believe that."

She looks up at me and smiles and I smile back.

"You're cute with a durag on." She says and I laugh.
"And you look cute with that bonnet on. Now lie back down, you need to rest."
"Yes, daddy." She says and I gently pat her butt.
"Don't test me, darling."

She chuckles but quiets down and falls back asleep and I follow her to dreamland once I hear her soft snores.

*~*~*~*
Aesha POV

"You sure you'll be okay, aulelei?"
"I'll be fine Joe."
"Okay, well...you know where the food is, cups are in the cabinet beside the fridge, the dishes are all washed already, Galina will probably be texting you soon, uhhh...I'll set the house alarm, I'll text you the code later. Hm. You sure you want me to go? You sure it's not too soon?"

I'm currently at the front door with Joe trying to convince him to leave because he's a little worried about me after my little night terror last night.

"Joe, I'm okay, really. I'm gonna keep unpacking, taking my time, Galina and the kids will be here later, go enjoy the new job you've given yourself."
"I just wanna make sure. Like, you just got out the hospital and—"
"And I'm fine, I promise. You're gonna check on me all day anyway, if I need something I'll call, really. Please, chill, I'm a big girl."
"I know but it doesn't stop me from worrying."