Chapter 8: Come See Me

Thursday April 2, 2020 - Tampa, Florida

Aesha POV

"So, Raul has secured a year long residency at Bradley's as one of their new drag queens, Oneida can't stop talking about this new man of hers, and my man and I are still on the rocks, so there's that."
"You been doin' everything I've told you to do?"
"Yes! I feel like all I do is work, cook, and clean now. It used to be a team effort but now it's just me chasing after him, trying to please him because he's still spending his nights out at the bars if he's not at the office."
"There's just one thing left to do: throw that ass back in a circle and watch him drool."

I bust out laughing at Joe and I have to put my paint brush down for a minute. Over the past month, Joe and I have regularly called and texted each other, me keeping him updated on what Paulette's been up to and him keeping me company late at night while Rufus spent most of his nights in the office, in a bar, or at a friend's.

"Is that your answer to everything? Ass?"
"Psh, girl, ass is the answer to everything."
"Looks more like it's the root of all your problems."
"Look now, Paulette is an exception; I don't know what happened to her in life but that girl is a true demon spawn, I'm sure of it."
"Yeah, me too. Anyway, how can you be so sure that this lap dance is gonna fix everything?"
"I'm not sayin' it'll fix everything, I'm just sayin' that it'll inspire him to pay attention to you again 'cause he's clearly forgotten the catch he's been blessed with."
"Oh my God, Joe, stop." I say blushing and getting back to painting.
"I'm serious and I'm sure it'll work."

"Well, you are divorced so I don't know how good your word is."
"Wooow, so you got jokes, huh?"
"Always."
"Uh-huh, well, I can assure you that I'm NOT divorced 'cause I wasn't romantic or because I didn't know how to put it down on my woman and Galina sure as Hell ain't divorced 'cause she ain't know how to please me."
"She's legit had me rehearsing this dance all month."
"Mhmm, exactly, and between the two of us, you should be married come the weekend, if that's what you want."
"You're ridiculous."
"Just bein' real witchu. That's supposed to be goin' down tonight, right? Dinner, movie, dance?"
"Yup, the works."
"That's alotta effort on your part but okay. So, whatchu up to right now?"
"Just working on this commission. Been getting more of those recently, makes me happy." I say stepping back and admiring the progress on my oil painting of Pensacola beach.

"I'm happy for you. You know what would be the perfect way to celebrate?"
"What?"
"Coming out to Los Angeles for Wrestlemania this Sunday."
"Excuse me??"
"Yeah, I can get you in, no problem."
"Joe, how the Hell am I gonna book a decent flight to LA for this Sunday??"
"I'll book it, put you on the same private jet that Galina and the kids will be on."
"P-private jet?"
"I know you haven't been spoiled like this, ever, but you can't tell me you don't wanna go to the biggest event of the year in professional wrestling?"
"I-I mean, Hell yeah I wanna go but...when are Galina and the kids supposed to be flying out?"

Please say Saturday night, please say Saturday night.

"Tomorrow afternoon."

Dammit.

"I-Joe...I can't make it, it's too short notice. I mean, I could but I don't wanna just leave Raul, Oneida, and Rufus high and dry to run the store until Monday from, like, today. Like, I just—"
"No, no, that's okay, I understand, don't stress. Maybe I can get you out to another RAW or maybe Summerslam."
"Maybe, but I'm not sure about Wrestlemania and that bums me out."
"That's okay, don't worry about it. However, if you change your mind at any point between now and Sunday morning, I'll find a way to get you out here okay?"
"I mean, okay, I'll let you know but why?"
"I dunno. I guess I just want you to come see me, get away from your troubles for a little bit and come have some fun with me."
"Awh, you're sweet."
"I try, I try. Anyway, ima go get ready for this autograph signing then this house show tonight, the last one before the big night."
"Good luck, kick ass. Talk to you later."
"Always. Talk to you soon."