Chapter 5: Small Talk and Smack Talk

Monday March 2, 2020 - Tampa, Florida

Aesha POV

It's about fifteen past noon and Joe and I have secured the large painting in the bed of his pickup truck.

"Alright, Raul, hold it down while I'm gone like you always do." I say giving my friend and employee a quick hug by Joe's truck.
"Always, hunty, you know how I do."
"I know boo, especially yesterday. Thank you so much for helping keep things in order yesterday. It's not that I don't trust Rufus, it's just that he doesn't usually step in for me, y'know? I just didn't want him to feel overwhelmed or like he wasn't doing the right things, y'know?"
"Girl, what? You talkin' to me?"
"What? Boy, yes!"
"Nah you ain't, you wasn't talkin' to me 'cause, uh, I ain't clock in yesterday."
"What?"
"Rufus told me to take the day off, said he was coming in to help you and thought I could use a day to myself."
"Huh..."
"I don't know what Rufus told you but he needsta be put in the hot seat to-day." He says clapping his hands.

"I think you're right but I can't worry about that right now, I gotta go get this painting situated."
"I'll be here girly, don't stress, alright? Breathe and enjoy your time with that sexy-ass Samoan. Don't forget to get his number." Raul whispers to me as he points to Joe, the large man leaned up against his hood playing on his phone, his perfectly chiseled biceps glistening in the bright Floridian sun. I chuckle and shake my head before hopping up into the vehicle, Joe hopping in soon after and we start our journey to his home in Dover.

A few short minutes into our drive, Joe finally decides to make conversation, something that I've failed to do myself, my mind too busy trying to explain away my woman's intuition.

"So, how old are you?"
"26."
"Oh wow, and you've got your own business already?"
"That's not impressive, athletes and pop stars do more impressive things at younger than this."
"I mean, you're still doin' pretty well for yourself."
"I suppose even though I know that I wouldn't have been without my boyfriend; he's a large part of why I have this store, I owe him everything."
"What did he do?"
"Paid for most of cost of the retail space, got up the money to move me down here with him, got me employees."
"Did he create the website?"
"No."
"The way I see it is that you're giving him a little too much credit for what started out as your vision, your dream."
"Maybe, but that doesn't change all that he's done for me."
"And it shouldn't but you need to be more positive and sure in yourself."
"I'm a realist."
"No, you're a self-doubter. Everything you have now started out with your online store and your social networking skills; I found that article on you from when you were still in college, decided to do some research on you. You had a vision, he supported you and helped you bring it to life but it is still your creation. He didn't have to put up any money for it, and it's great that he did that and all, but that's what he chose to do, so don't hold that over your head like you owe him your life now, especially not with him coming home at all hours of the night for some vague generic-ass 'work-related' excuse, especially not when he pulled what he pulled about your day off yesterday; yeah, I heard you and Raul talkin' just now, these ears ain't big for nothin' y'know." He says and I just laugh, sparing a glance to see that he was already looking at me while we're stopped at a red light.

"There we go, got a smile outta ya. Feel better?"
"A little, kinda, still got this sinking feeling but I just want it to go away. I'm gonna be honest, do I think his eyes are wandering? Yes, I do, but I'm not gonna sit idly by and just let it happen, I'm eight years too deep into this; I'm gonna remind him why he comes home to me and no one else, I just...I don't know where to start."
"You cooked something nice for him, right? That's when he stood you up?"
"Yeah." I say sadly as the car starts rolling along again.
"Just keep doin' that. Don't get dolled up every time but definitely don't stop giving him a good home cooked meal when possible, us guys love that shit."
"You really gonna give me tips, now?"
"Of course. I feel like you and I have this connection now that I've bought this painting, so lemme help you."