Hero of War [Jean Kirschstein x OC Ficlet]

Iyan could remember when her uncle, Meo, had been brought home from another one of his expeditions beyond the walls. Only this time, she knew that he would never go back. His legs were gone, bitten off from the knees down by a Titan that he hadn't seen coming. Meo had greeted her as he had every time before that, with a huge smile on his face and his arms spread for a hug.

Except this time, Iyan had to clamber into his lap, since he was now forever confined to a wheelchair. She had immediately began to question him about his most recent journey and Meo had informed her happily, just like every time before that.

Iyan respected and loved her uncle more than anything else in the world. As she aged, grew older and wiser about the world, she realized that she wanted to grow up just like her uncle. She wanted to join the Survey Corps, she wanted to go beyond the wall and help defend humanity against the Titan's.

She remembered when Meo first found out about her desire to become just like him. At the age of ten, he had still let her crawl into his lap as he dug out his Survey Corps jacket, letting her slip her arms into it. She remembered his words perfectly. 'Become a hero of war, someone that you can be proud of. Don't let everyone else sway your mind. I believe you'll become a great warrior.'

To this day, Iyan still carried her uncle's jacket everywhere with her. On the rare chance she got to return home and visit him, she definitely wore it with pride. Her uncle had gone outside of the wall to protect those cowering down on the inside; she refused to be like those people.

She would become a hero of war; she had things, people, to protect. Not just those inside of the wall but those who went outside of it with her.

“Iyan, are you even listening?” came a voice, breaking her from her thoughts. Blinking, Iyan turned to look at Jean, who was standing next to her with an exasperated look on his face.

“Why would she bother listening to someone like you?” Eren questioned. Iyan sighed, turning to glance at her best friend. Eren always seemed drawn to cause irritation in Jean. Why, she had no idea.

“Guys, come on. There's no time for fighting,” she stated, walking over to her horse and making sure everything was exactly as she had left it in the saddle bags.

A hand suddenly came over her shoulder and landed on top of hers, someone's chest pressed against her back. Looking up, she smiled when she saw Jean, despite the scowl marring his features.

“I need you to be careful out here, Iyan,” Jean stated, concern leaking through his voice.

“I'm always careful, Jean. Besides, we've faced Titans before.”

“We faced Titans inside the Walls, in Trost District. But not out here. We don't know what's out here,” Jean stated before sighing.

“Jean... I'm going to be fine, alright? My uncle-”

“I know you want to be like your uncle, Iyan. Which is great, he was a good soldier. But do you want to become a hero of war like him? Or a hero of war who continues to fight?” Jean asked.

Iyan looked up at the male behind her, turning to look up at him. “Jean... You should know that, even if it does mean becoming a hero of war like him, I'd still do it if it meant keeping everyone safe. Keeping you safe,” she said softly, looking down at the worn out jacket she wore. Once she had officially joined the Survey Corps, she even wore the jacket on duty.

“I wear this with pride and I know that he did to, even when he lost his legs. So if it comes down to it, let me lose my legs for you,” she stated softly.

Jean, still obviously not liking how determined Iyan was to risk her own life, frowned slightly as he lifted a hand and rested it against her cheek, the ends of her mahogany hair that escaped the confines of her bun brushing across his fingertips.

“Just be careful, alright? I would much rather you be a full hero of war than a half one,” he muttered.

Iyan smiled and moved to kiss Jean's palm before pulling herself up onto her horse.

“Let's go Jean. I'll be careful if you are,” she stated with a smile before spurring her horse into a trot, moving off to join the others for their newest expedition.