Promises of Love [Hei (Darker Than BLACK) Ficlet]

Hei sighed softly as he ascended the stairs to his small apartment, running a hand through his short black hair. Today had been at utmost stressful day. Not only did he have to deal with rogue Contractor's, but he'd also had to rush out to buy the gift he had been promising to get [Name] for so long. It wasn't his fault that pretty much every male in existent waited until the big day arrived before going out to be their lovers gifts.

Opening the door, he stepped inside to find [Name] standing in front of the stove, cooking what appeared to be a pretty important meal. When she heard the sound of the door opening, she turned her head and smiled once she found Hei.

“You're finally home Lee! How was work?” the [color] haired girl questioned as she quickly wiped her hands on a hand towel before moving towards him to greet him with a hug and kiss. Hei felt bad that he had yet to tell the girl his true name, but she would be safer that way; his love for her, however, was true.

“It was tiring. We were really busy at the factory,” he said with a slight laugh, rubbing at the back of his head.

“I bet you were. Go and get comfortable; I'm just finishing up our dinner,” she stated, shooing him off to their bedroom. Kicking his shoes off, Hei got comfortable on the ground next to the window, leaning against the wall. He had never felt the need for a lot of things, but [Name] never complained about the things that the apartment was lacking.

“I got something for you,” [Name] stated from the doorway, grabbing the male's attention. Blinking, Hei watched as she walked over and held out a red bag with a heart on it for him. Taking it from her, he slowly opened it and smiled when he saw what she had bought for him.

“I thought you hadn't seen me looking at it,” he stated, looking up at her over the black jacket he had admired many times during passing.

“Of course I noticed! Do you like it?” she questioned, crouching down in front of him curiously.

Hei nodded before sitting her gift to the side and digging around in his pocket. “I got you something too. I know I've been promising to get you a better ring for a long time and I finally got enough saved up,” he stated, pulling a red velvet box out of his pocket.

[Name] gasped softly as she reached forward and took the box from him, opening it slowly. “Lee, it's perfect! But you didn't have to get this for me,” she said softly as tears formed in her eyes.

Shaking his head, Hei took the ring from her hands before removing her old engagement ring, sliding the new one on. “Nonsense. I've been promising you this for a long time and I was tired of making you wait. Besides, Valentine's Day is as good as any, right?” he teased with a slight smile.

Laughing, [Name] leaned forward and kissed him gently. “I love you,” she said gently, poking at his nose playfully before heading back to finish their dinner.

Smiling, Hei rested his arm across his knee before glancing out the window. “Love you too,” he said softly, even though she wouldn't hear him.