Wait For Me [Makoto Tachibana x Reader]

Makoto rode the bus back to the team's hotel in silence, staring out of the window forlornly with his green eyes, the lights from the street lamps lighting up his face. His mind was not on his team's most recent win. They were on what was back at home, waiting for him. One more day was all he had before he was able to fly the eleven thousand miles back home and be with the one person he never thought he would leave behind for almost three whole weeks.

Sighing, he dug into the side pocket of his duffel bag and pulled out his wallet, flipping it open and smiling at the image that greeted him. There she was, [color] hair flying around, [color] eyes shining in happiness in the sunlight as Makoto took what he thought would be a surprise picture. But nothing ever surprised her. It seemed like she was always ready and waiting for things like getting her picture taken. Makoto couldn't blame her; she was a gorgeous woman, after all.

His smile softened as he slid down in his seat. Tomorrow, they would fly back home but he wouldn't get home until well past [Name]'s bedtime. Maybe he would surprise her. But she didn't like flowers or gifts. All she had told him every time they had the chance to talk was that the best surprise would be waking up to Makoto sleeping next to her.

Makoto had been able to keep going because of the sound of [Name]'s voice in his head. It helped him sleep at night, when he was more alone than ever. It helped him when he got saddened by defeat from a rival team. His team mates didn't understand; sure, they spoke to their women, but they never spoke to her or about her like Makoto talked about [Name]. Makoto knew it was hard for her, and she knew it was hard for him, but he always told her 'Just imagine me there next to you. I'll be home before you know it.'

Since the day he had left, he had been counting down to himself and so had [Name]. Even on the nights that they couldn't manage to squeeze in a phone call long enough to say goodnight or love you to one another, she sent him pictures of her daily life. Simple pictures, pictures of her doing something fun filled or amazing. Ever picture made Makoto want to rush home, to be there for [Name]. At first, she had seemed disappointed that he would be gone for so long, slowly growing used to the fact the closer the day came.

But tomorrow, the waiting would be over. He would be able to tell her that he loved her and goodnight every night after tonight. Smiling, he closed his wallet and held it close in hands, shutting his eyes as he let his head rest against the cool glass of the bus window.

"Thank you for waiting," he whispered to himself, more grateful than ever that he had found someone as loving and as patient as [Name] was towards him.