Chapter 141, Narrator: Akilah

We walked in to the dark tunnel. We had our flashlights turned on. We made sure we were looking around, watching our steps, and staying quiet for the most part. "So Akilah, I gotta ask, what's going on with you and Cole?" Aaron asked. I knew what he meant but still had to ask. "What do you mean by that?" I asked. "Nothing, just that you guys are together most of the time. Wherever I find Cole, I find you," he said. "To be honest I'm not sure," I said. These feelings had been bothering me for a while. "He wants to be with me, I know he does," I said. "But, I don't usually let anyone that close to my heart," I said. "You've done a lot better than me," Avry said. He was talking about Madison. "Avry, you were with her for a long time, she's the woman you had you're first child with," I said. "I couldn't protect either of them, not Madison, not Elizabeth," he said. The look on his face was telling me that he was beginning to lose hope in what was left. "That's what I'm scared of, I'm scared of becoming close and losing him," I said. "But with that logic, wouldn't you feel even worse if he died without knowing how you felt about him?" Aaron asked. "I don't know," I said with a large exhale. "Just, if we get through this....at least tell him," he said. "Okay," I said. "Aaron," Avry said. "Yeah," Aaron said as he looked through some of the  vehicles. "I just wanted to say that you were right," Avry said. "About what?" Aaron asked. "About us not dying," Avry said. I looked at the car in front of me. There was a car seat in the back, it had blood splattered all over it. Further through the tunnel there were cars blocking the way. It looked like we were gonna have to climb over them. Aaron climbed first, then Avry, then me. When I climbed over something grabbed my leg. It was a roamer. "Shit!" I yelled and pulled my pistol. KAPOW! I shot it in the head. I heard the groans and moans becoming louder. I looked around. All the roamers we're coming out of their hiding spots. "Fuck! We woke them all up!" Avry said. A few of them were blocking the path ahead. "I'll hold a flashlight, you guys shoot!" Avry said. He led the way with a knife and a flashlight. Aaron and I shot at the ones blocking the path. "Guys there's more cars blocking the way! We gotta climb again!" Avry said as he stopped. There was an ambulance in front of us. "Akilah you go first!" Avry said. I ran up first without even thinking of them. Aaron and Avry boosted me up on top of the ambulance. I looked back. Aaron was boosting Avry up. Avry started to climb up. KAPOW! KAPOW! Aaron was shooting the approaching roamers. "Get outta here! Now!" Aaron yelled as he fired at some more. "Shit! I gotta help him! Keep the light on us!" Avry yelled as he jumped back down. "Avry wait!" I yelled. "What the fuck are you doing!?! Get out of here!" Aaron yelled as he fired some more. Avry was pushing roamers back with his bow. "Come on, we can make it! You said it! We aren't dying!" Avry said with a grunt. Aaron pushed Avry away. Avry fell back. All the roamers we're after Aaron. He fired off his whole mag. Eventually they were all on him. I couldn't do anything to help. Aaron eventually couldn't fight anymore. Avry was frozen in place not far from it. None of the roamers realized he was there. "Avry come on!" I yelled. He climbed over the car next to him. I climbed down on the other side of the ambulance. Avry was sitting on the ground. Hand covering his face. "Avry," I said as I approached him. He stood up. "Let's go," Avry said. We kept walking through the tunnel. He didn't say much. I could see the end of the tunnel. There were two roamers standing near the exit. I pulled my knife. "No," Avry said as grabbed my arm. "I got this," he said. He stabbed the first one and knocked the second over. He started kicking it all over. Then he started stomping on it's head. "Avry you got it!" I said and grabbed his shoulder. He pushed me back a little. He coughed a little. He was still pretty beat up. He started walking again. I followed behind him. I could see Cole and the others. "Guys!" Avry said. They all looked back and saw us. It was silent for a minute. The sunlight hit my skin. I knew I'd made it out. "Where's Aaron?" Destiny asked. Neither of us said anything. "That must have been the gunshots," Mykell said. I ignored what everyone was saying and sat down by myself on the side of the road. I needed a minute to process what just happened. Aaron, just like most of our people was a good person, he didn't deserve that. "Akilah, are you okay?" Cole asked and out his hand on my shoulder. I stood up and kissed him and then hugged him tight. "Someone's happy to see me," he said. "Guys!" Destiny said. We both looked over. "We need to have a talk," she said. We both walked over. "What's wrong?" I asked. "It's Mykell," she said. "He got bit leading the herde away," she said. I looked over at Mykell. I could see how bad he was burning up. "So what do we do?" Avry asked. "What do you mean?" Destiny asked. "I mean, is it something we can cut off?" Avry asked. "No, not without making him suffer more," Destiny said. "So we aren't left with a whole lot of options," Avry said. "I tell you what we'll do," Mykell said. "What's that?" Avry asked. "We keep moving, I'll let you know when I have to stop," Mykell said.