Chapter 70, Narrator: Akilah

The roamer grabbed my left arm and sunk its teeth in my wrist. "Shit!" I yelled and pushed the roamer back. I felt Aaron and Donovan yank me in to the truck. I saw Leonardo still fighting the roamers. We all had stopped firing because we were all trying to help him up. He stood up in the truck. "That was close," he said. KAPOW! A bullet went right through his chest. He started to fall back. I went to go grab him but he slipped right through my hands. He fell in to the crowd of roamers. He kept screaming. The screaming went on for a few seconds before all we could hear was the roamers devouring his dead body. We didn't know who shot. "Akilah.....I'm sorry," Donovan said. "What are you sorry for?" I asked and turned around. He swung a machete at my hand. One swing took it right off. I wanted to scream but I couldn't. I just stared at the blood quickly dripping. I almost fell over but Donovan and Aaron caught me. I started to pass out. I closed my eyes. I could hear yelling. I felt the truck start to drive. We hit a bump. That bump woke my right up. "Akilah, I need you to stay awake," Lydia said while sitting over me. I must've been out a while. Lydia was a few trucks away last time I saw her. She started putting pressure on where my hand used to be. She was putting bandages on it. I looked over and saw Donovan and Destiny stabbing the last of the roamers. Cameron, Travis, and Joseph were down next to the trucks. Leo walked over to us. "You alright?" he asked. "I can't feel my arm," I said. "You lost a lot of blood," Lydia said. "Well, if you can hold off til we get home, we've got plenty of doctors and medicine," Leo said. "They can fix you up, no problem at all," he said. "I'm a doctor," Lydia said. "Well, looks like you already got yourself a job," Leo said. He walked away. "How big do you think this place is?" she asked. "It must have tons of people, they took a lot of people with them, they must have a lot more people at their base guarding it," she said. "Yeah," I said. She was thinking about their base, but I was thinking about Leonardo. None of us were firing. And him getting shot wasn't on accident. No one would've fired that high. Someone killed him on purpose. I saw Donovan standing over what looked like Leonardo. He'd been ripped down to nothing. He wasn't even recognizable. "It hurts to see him like that," Lydia said. Donovan stabbed Leonardo in the head. "Leo said that we could bury him," she said. Aaron and Donovan picked Leonardo up. They carried him over to a whole that they already dug. Cameron walked over. "So what happened?" he asked. "He got dragged in to the herd," I said. "I got pulled in, so did he," I said. "But somehow he fell back in," I said. "How do you think he fell?" I asked. "I don't think, I know he got shot, someone did this and they're hiding," I said. "You know for a fact?" he asked. "That's the only way he could've fell, he stood up, none of us were firing and their was a gunshot," I said. Cameron looked over at Travis. "It wasn't Travis, he's....on our side," he said. He called Travis over here. "Travis, something happened," he said. "I saw," Travis said. "Someone shot him," Cameron said. "That can't be true, murder isn't okay where we stay," Travis said. We got quiet for a few seconds. We all looked at each other. All of us were guilty of murder. All of us. "Look I'll get one of our "detectives" to look in to it," he said. "Alright," Cameron said. They both walked to one of the trucks. Everyone started packing everything in to the trucks. We were about to start driving to Missouri. They said the drive wouldn't take long. They had gas for the trucks. They came prepared. I sat in the back of the truck with Lydia and John. John had his arm around her. I looked in the truck beside me. I saw Destiny and Mikhayla. It was quiet. No one was talking. I guess we all felt bad about Leonardo. We all knew someone shot him, but we didn't know who. We'd known him since we first got to the airport. Him and Joseph were the only people left from the airport. Most of the people from the school made it. Compared to most people we're lucky. We'd never had a bigger group. And this group was about to get a whole lot bigger. If he'd already found Avry then they must've found others. We'd have the whole group soon. Well....not all of us. I'm not even sure that I'll make it. I lost my hand, and a lot of blood. I didn't think I'd ever lose a limb. I always considered myself lucky. I guess that luck is running out. The trucks started to come to stop. I looked ahead to see what was holding us up. A mountain had collapsed. I saw Leo start looking for another way around. Their were dead bodies on the ground. I got out of the truck to stretch. I walked around the area for a minute. And right in front of where the mountain collapsed I saw a bag. I picked it up and started looking through it. It was Xavie's bag that she uses for the baby. It had some diapers and a few other things in it. And right beside the bag was Avry's pistol. I looked up at the collapsed mountain. Maybe they had climbed over. I checked the magazine. It was full. He had to have dropped it. But this meant Avry and Xavie were alive for sure.