Chapter 137, Narrator: Mykell

KAPOW! I looked over. I saw Jonathan's body hit the dirt. Avry had the gun pointing where Jonothan used to stand. "Holy shit!" Aaron said. "What happened!?!" Akilah asked. "He said something about LeAnn, so I killed him," Avry said. "Why!?! We could've talked this out!" Akilah said. "We already tried that, we fought twice, it was gonna continue, I just gave one less mouth to feed," Avry said. "There's a mountain lodge up there, we can stay there for tonight until the storm passes," he said as he walked up the mountain. No one objected. We followed Avry up the mountain. I looked over at Aaron. When he looked at me I knew we had the same idea in our heads. We needed to have a talk with everyone about Avry. We got to the lodge. Everyone set the supplies we had down. Avry went back for the gas. We offered to go with him but he refused. He must've been going to LeAnn's grave. "Alright, we really need to talk while he's gone," I said. We all stood in a circle. Destiny was trying to make a fire. "We need to figure out how to handle this," Aaron said. "What exactly do you mean when you say handle?" Akilah asked. "I mean we need to get him to calm the fuck down," Aaron said. "He's becoming dangerous, anyone says the wrong thing they'll end up like Jonothan," I said. "Look, Destiny and I know Avry, we need to leave him to his thoughts for a while, he'll come back from it," Akilah said. "How long then?" Cole asked. "I don't know, we just need to wait," Akilah said. "We can't wait too long, if we do,  how long until he kills another one of us?" Aaron asked. "No, he wouldn't kill one of us, he killed Jonothan because Jonothan wasn't one of us," Destiny said. "How can you say that?" Aaron asked. "He saved you and Mikhayla," he said. "Yeah and he also attacked my friend, and tried to kill the woman who kept him alive," Destiny said. "What do you wanna do then Aaron? Kill him? Leave him behind?" Akilah asked. "No, never, I'm saying we should keep a close watch on him," Aaron said. "He's coming up, act natural," Cole said. I sat down in a chair and began sharpening my knife. I saw all the scars on my arm from my kidnapping. Avry walked inside. He set the gas cans down. He started helping Destiny with the fire. After a few minutes we had a fire going. We used the books and other items to keep the fire going. Avry was poking at the fire. "Avry, we need to talk," Akilah said. "I know, it's about Jonothan," Avry said. "I shot him in the head, and when I went back down there I threw his body off the mountain," he said. "That's not how we do things and you know this," Akilah said. "Oh please, you've done the same thing before," Avry said. "If you would've got the chance you would've killed Tyler for what he did to Jabrel," he said. "That's different, he killed one of our own," Akilah said. "He said something about one of our own that just died and he attacked me. Or did you forget that?" Avry asked. "And what if I were to talk about LeAnn?" Akilah asked. "You wouldn't, because you know me and know how I felt about her," Avry said. "What about anyone else?" Akilah asked. "What are you getting at? What are you trying to say?" Avry asked. "I don't feel like you should have that gun," Akilah said. Avry pulled the gun out of the holster. He took all the bullets out. "Here," he said and handed her the bullets. "This was LeAnn's I'm keeping it," he said. Silence filled the room. I looked at everyone. "I've been meaning to ask you Mykell," Cole said. "What did you do before all of this?" he asked. It was so long ago that I'd almost forgot. "I was a kindergarten teacher," I said. "You? To be honest I would've expected something more like construction," he said. "Yeah, I was with them when it all started," I said. "The first roamer I ever killed......was one of my students," I said. "The parents never came from them, I took care of them as best as I could. We started our trip in California, none of them made it out," I said. "Anytime I'd come across any survivor they'd leave as soon as they could, they felt as if the children were burdens. I was burying a child every week until they were all dead. None of them were old enough to fight," I said. "That's terrible," Aaron said. "What about you guys?" I asked. "Akilah, Avry and I, we were all about to graduate when it started," Destiny said. "We got pinned," she said. "What about you Cole?" Destiny asked. "I was a college student, I wasn't really much of anything, I was with family when it started," Cole said. "Aaron?" I said. "I was planning on being a mechanic, but somehow it didn't work out, so I just did whatever my dad and John were doing," he said. "Before we found Lydia, we were chasing a military helicopter," he said. "Did you ever find it?" I asked. "It crashed," he said. "We shouldn't be talking about this," Avry said. "We had all the time in the world back in St. Louis, now that we're close to the end we say this," he said. "This isn't the end, we can still make it," Destiny said. "It's the end until we see otherwise," Avry said. "We aren't dead yet," Aaron said. "We're close," Avry said. "Stop saying things like that! We're not dying!" Aaron said. "Look at us! We don't have any one that we started with! There's only six of us left standing! I'm just waiting to see who's gonna be the last man standing!" Avry said.