Chapter Three, Narrator: Avry

It was 5:12 me and Akilah were about to leave. "You ready to go?" I asked Akilah. "Yeah let's go," she said. We walk out of the building then in to the parking lot. We walked the street for a good ten minutes in silence. Their were no cars nothing. No people either. "Oh Akilah, here," I said and handed her two bags of chips. "Jabrel found them, him and Anthony found some stuff that's connected to what I saw," I said. I still hadn't told Akilah, I guess I forgot. "What did you guys see?" she asked. "I saw a girl getting raped by,the three police officers that were only supposed to be there for the ceremony and Anthony saw them dump a big bag in the dumpster the same night," I said. "Oh my god, that's terrible," she said. "Yeah that's what kept me up," I said. "What are we grabbing exactly?" she said trying to change the subject. "Some food, and maybe my mom, a few knives my multi-tool, some water bottles, and maybe my dog," I said. She laughed at the dog part. "I have my pocket knife by the way" she said. "Can I see it?" I,asked. "Yeah, here," she said. I grab her knife. I only wanted to see how sharp it was. I stick it on my finger and cut it a little bit. It was sharp, really sharp. "Why did you do that?" she said while freaking out. "I just wanted to see how sharp it was," I said. "You say it like it's nothing," she said. Then I hear a few branches break and leaves rustling around. "Shhhh" I said. Then a man runs out carrying a gun. He points it at me. "Are you bit?", he asks. "What?" I ask. "ARE YOU BIT!?!" he yells. "Bit from what?" I ask. He lowers his gun. "You haven't seen it yet have you?" He said. "What do you mean?" Akilah asks. "I'll tell you everything but, what are your names first?" he asks. "I'm Avry and that's Akilah" I say. "I'm Danny, where you guys headed?" he asks. "Hickory Ridge," I said. "Oh that's not far, mind if I tag along?" he asks. "Not at all," I said. So we walk and make small talk. He has been by himself for a while. He explained what was going on. People were getting sick. When people got sick the fever got so bad it killed them. But the thing is if you didn't destroy their brain they came back. And if they bit you or maybe even scratched you, you would be infected. Then you would die and come back. It was all so confusing. How could something like this happen? Who would let this happen? I didn't know anything anymore. But we were getting closer to my house I could see it. But the truck wasn't there. My mom and Josh weren't there. We start walking to my front door step when a group of people walk out of the woods. "They with you?" I asked. "No they're infected look at their eyes and skin and if you still can't tell look for a bite," he said. We all run inside. The door was locked we were gonna go around but Danny busted the door down. We walk in I go to my room grab my multi-tool. I grabbed my family photo even though we didn't need it. Danny helped Akilah grab some knives and food. Then I ran to my mom's bathroom grabbed the medkit out of there. I grabbed some toothpaste and toothbrushes. Then I grabbed some candy. I flip the knife out of my multi-tool. The glass on the screen door was about to break. "Danny unlock the back door get ready to run," I said. He unlocks back door and their is more dead people back their. "Alright run Akilah come with me. Danny lock yourself in the bathroom," I said. Akilah runs in my room with me. The screen doors break and they approach us. I froze for a second then tried to close the door but I didn't do it in time. "Akilah stand in the corner with me you pull my door back I'll pull the closet door back," I said. This made it to where we wouldn't get bit. We wouldn't have made it in the closet fast enough. "Akilah we have to be very quiet," I whispered to her. We sat there at least an hour. Most of them piled out in the front yard I guess they heard someone. They only seem to see and hear. But if they don't see something or hear something they just roam. Their were only a good five left. "Akilah pull out your knife," I said. We both pull out our knives. "Danny said to go for the brain," I said. "On three we open the door, 1-2-3!" I said and opened my door so we could get out. Their were two in my room. Akilah took the one on the left I took the one on the right. I stabbed in to it and felt the warm blood shoot out. It almost makes me sick. I pull my knife out and kick him down. Their were only three left all in the living room. I took one and Akilah took one. Their was one left and I fell over and it fell on me. It landed on my knife but didn't hit its brain. The blood dripped all over me from its neck. Then Akilah stabbed it in the head in the blood spills on my face. "Danny come out," I said. Danny comes out. "The hell happened to you?" he asks. "We killed some, we'll talk later let's jump the back fence, just push through their isn't many," I said. Then we run through we all jump the fence one at a time. First Akilah, then Danny, and then me. We all made it over. "Hey let's take that van," Danny said. "I drive," I said. "Shotgun," Akilah said. We get in the car and start driving. We drive but we get a good block away and then I pull over. "Danny before we go I need to tell you something," I said. "Yeah," he said. "We need to sneak you in we think their is something going on and we don't know who all to trust," I said. So we get out of the car and start walking. KAPOW. I didn't know what happened or anything. I just fell over. And closed my eyes. Whatever happened it hurt. Something hit me right in the leg I couldn't feel it. Then I passed out.