Chapter 29, Narrator: Lydia

Avry listened to Mark's idea. We were fixing up the school. We were fixing the fence we built. The spot where the car drove through the fence we just blocked off with a truck. We were fixing the fence and burning bodies. I was moving supplies in. I had half of the food in. I still had to bring the guns in too. I was really happy to be back at the school. It brought back a few memories. Not many but I was still happy. I was happy to walk through the school again. And I was almost done putting the food in the freezer. We were lucky the place was solar powered or we wouldn't be able to have all the food we have. It would've all went bad. And I just put up the last box. Now I had to put up the guns. "Avry where do you want me to put the guns?" I asked. "Just set them in the gym, we'll organize later," he said. I walked the guns in to the gym in a shopping cart. I had finished that so I went to help rebuild the wall. We had to build around the whole place again. Leonardo had some spare wood so we just went over what we left. I was working next to Avry. "Lydia, I'm going to Missouri tomorrow," he said. "What!?!" I said. "Why?" I asked. "Because, now that no one is trying to kill us I can leave and not worry as much about you guys," he said. "But, you're our leader," I said. "Who's gonna take over while you're gone?" I asked. "That's the thing, I want you to take over until I get back," he said. "Why me?" I asked. "I would say Akilah but she just lost her best friend, I know how I felt after losing Jabrel. I don't think she could take much after that. And she's probably coming with me," he said. I never really cared much for being leader but I guess I'm leader now. "I'll do it," I said. "Good, I know you'll do what's best," he said. "But if this place goes south, leave me some kind of sign to lead me to you guys," he said. "That's if it goes south," I said. He smiled when I said that. It took us a few hours to finish the wall. It looked a lot better this time. And we got all the bodies burned too. Their was still a few hours left of the day. Mark and his people left after we finished the wall. We were all in a classroom. Anthony was hooking a DVD player up to a projector. We were gonna watch some movies. We had a few movies to pick but I fell asleep before they finished arguing over which one to watch. I woke up before everyone so I went to make everyone something to eat. I just put some of the mini pancakes in the microwave. I was combing my hair while setting everything up. I had grabbed everyone a juice cup. After I finished eating every one woke up. I had talked with everyone for a while. I was helping Avry pack, he was leaving later tonight so he'd make it there in the morning. I gave him a bullet vest a shotgun, an assault rifle, a flare gun, and some food and water. "I'll be leaving about nine tonight," he said. "Whatever you're looking for, I hope you find it," I said. "I'm looking for her," he said and pulled a picture out. He pointed at a little girl. "Its my sister, I haven't seen hee in five years," he said. "What if she's not there?" I asked. "Then I come back," he said. "We'll be here," I said. "Wait, what if you do find her?" I asked. "I'll take as long as it takes to convince her to come here with me," he said. "I don't know how long it'll be, but I'll be back," he said. No one had ever just left before. We tried to stay together. But this was his sister, he had to see her eventually. As lucky as he's been he'll come back for sure. Akilah walked up to him. "Avry," she said. "Yeah," he said. "You wanna go on a run with me real quick?" she asked. "Sure," he said. "Where to?" he asked. "Eastover, I know a place," she said. "Alright, you got stuff packed?" he asked. "Yep, let's go," he said. They left in the van after that. I don't know of Akilah was going with him but he was pretty confident she would. I went on the roof of the arena. I just looked around the school. Everyone seemed so happy to be back. Alex was up too, she was finally able to walk around on her own. She took a bullet in the head and lived, that's pretty damn impressive. I walked over to the two graves next to the track field with some flowers. "Hi Jabrel," I said. "You haven't had a visitor in a while, I guess," I said. "Everyone misses you," I said. "I brought you some flowers," I said. I felt weird talking to a grave, but he was a friend so it was okay. I set the flowers down on his grave. I noticed that neither of them had names on them. So I grabbed some chalk from inside. I wrote both their names on the two graves. I walked back inside. It was hot outside. But pretty soon it'd be fall, then winter. That meant we needed jackets. Mark and Leonardo could bring some from the airport. Their is a lot of luggage just lying around, their had to be jackets in some of them. "Hey," Lonza said. "Hi," I said. "I need a favor," she said. "What is it?" I asked. "Can you help me go get Madison's body?" she asked. "Yeah, you know where its at?" I asked. "Every last turn," she said. We drove to the airport first, Lonza said if I drove her there it would be easier to find. We found her body lying on the ground. We wrapped her body in a bedsheet and drove it back to the school. We buried her and made her a grave stone. I wrote her name in chalk. I felt better about myself after that. I don't know why, I just did. I think Avry would be happy to see that. Yep things were gonna be alright.