Chapter 1: Meeting with the Boss

The sun was shining through Janice's window, waking her up from her light slumber. She had just come back from her mission and was enjoying the time in her bed. As she rose silently, she reviewed her status and play-through of her previous mission.

            This mission was to help an old man forgive the man who murdered his wife. The murder was set loose after a two-year battle. The old man was in grief and wanted revenge. Janice had become deeply in sync with the man but soon she had to leave him. She promised herself as she returned to her stay in the kingdom that she would watch over the man. She would never forget him.

           She brushed her hair exactly 100 times, 50 for both sides, and slipped out of her nightgown. She looked at herself in the mirror. Janice had stopped ageing when she turned 18. She was around 20 now, but it didn’t make a difference. When Janice first came to heaven she was a small girl with an empty heart. She had watched her father kill her mother before her eyes and wanted nothing to do with him. Yet, as she grew she had come to realize that her father was nothing more but a tempted, greedy man, wanting nothing more than money and a scandalous affair. She wanted to believe that he can change; she wanted him to be forgiven. She sighed to herself before pulling on her white robe. It wasn't quite a uniform but it was something that was given missionaries is recommended to wear.

            Janice picked up her trail of fabric and carried it out of her room and into the main room. She stepped lightly to try not to wake the others who slept around her. Marianne, the woman who raised Janice when she first came to the kingdom, sat in the main room on a chair pushed close to the window. Her flowing bright gold hair pooled against the back of her chair and her bright blue eyes gleamed as she watched a scene from the window. Her small feet rubbed together impatiently. "Marianne?" Janice asked. The woman tore her eyes off the window and stared at Janice.

"Good morning, Janice. My, aren’t you up early? How was your sleep?" She asked Janice.

"Restless." Janice sighed at the sad truth.

"You have another trial day." Marianne reminded her. She nodded and poured herself a cup of coffee. Trial wasn't a bad thing heaven, nothing particularly was. Trail was for the missionaries, where they got their missions and status reports. It was like a headquarters of some sort.

           Janice made polite conversation with Marianne while trying to ignore the tight knot in her stomach. If she passed this mission then she would move onto her hardest and final mission. She's heard of many angels who almost failed their final missions and she has met multiple missionaries who are still trying to complete their final mission. He had told her she was one of the best, but still, Janice doesn't want to disappoint. After finishing her conversation with Marianne, she once again picked up her trail of fabric and waltzed out of the house.

            She slipped on her comfortable sandals and stepped outside. Heaven was just like it is in Earth, besides the killings and depression. There were neighborhoods and parks. Everything was bright, intensified colors and clean spotless grounds. Janice walked out of her neighborhood and toward the town hall. She smiled at the happy kids who played in the streets. The only thing sad about this was that they either died at the young age or that was the healthiest they've been in their lifetime. She walked through Ms. Evan’s garden, the nice lady down the lane, and picked one of her flowers. Ms. Evan waved to her from the rose bush and continued to cut off the full-grown flowers. Janice waved back and skipped to the main road.

            The way to the headquarters was burned into Janice’s memory. Headquarters was like a home away from home, but Janice still didn’t know where home was. Was it back on Earth or was it the lodge with Marianne and some other missionaries? She questioned herself about how she’d done or how she would live through her angel years as she entered the town hall. “Great job on the mission, Janice.” Sam, the angel who was sort of a secretary for the boss and always tied her hair in a bun with the smell of daisies, complemented the young missionary.

“Thanks, Sam.”

“Go in when you’re ready.” Sam told her. She was referring to the headquarter office behind her station. Janice took a deep breath before pushing into the room. The walls were an ivory white and there was a large silver table and chair set placed in the middle of the room. No one knew why it was there, there were only two people ever in here at the same time, but they didn’t bring it up.

            Peter stood at attention in the corner of the room, waiting for her. Janice couldn’t help but feel self-conscience by the way he looked at her, it wasn’t that he scared her, his aura was more on the intimidating side. She straightened her back and gave him a stiff nod. “Peter.” She greeted.

“Janice.” He returned with a nod of his own. He gestured her into a chair that she took willingly, she felt as if her legs couldn’t keep her up. She was too anxious for her own liking. “I want to congratulate on your passing of your latest mission.” Janice released the breath that she didn’t know she was holding. She had passed, one step closer to becoming a full time angel. “You did so well that we have already booked your last mission.” This surprised Janice.

“I’m leaving already?” She dared to ask.

“You are able to leave whenever you like.” Peter told her. She thought for a second.

“But if I wait, then something bad might happen?” She didn’t want it to come out like a question. Peter looked at her skeptically.

“I would presume that might happen.” Janice sighed. She had barely been there for a day, little more than a couple of hours. Usually her next mission was weeks away. She felt that her mission wouldn’t be as easy as she assumed. If she wanted to be over with her Earth life and get her official pair of wings then she better jump on her opportunity to go.

“Can I get the mission detail folder then?” Janice held out her hand and waited for Peter to hand over the familiar manila folder.

“That’s what I’m really here to discuss about.” Peter hesitated. Janice’s hand faltered and she cradled her hand in her chest. “I’m here to tell you the rules of the final mission.” He slowly began to describe what was wanted in result of concluding a final mission.

          This was when Janice noticed that she would be going into this mission completely blind.