Chapter Forty-Five: A Young Wolf Among Ravens

Since I know Raven is in this part, I'll refer to Yang's Ghost as Raven (Ghost).

Several hours earlier...Austin's POV

Why in the name of the Traveler are we doing this?

The two of us were travelling by bike and sparrow down a different path from the fueling station, the stranger riding the bitch seat on her bike. She believed him when he claimed to know her mother. I on the other hand did not buy it. It was way too convenient.

Ghost: You know why.

I don't believe it for a second.

Ghost: But she does, and you know how pointless it would be to try and stop her.

I know. That's the issue. All we can do now is pray she knows what's going on.

Ghost: And if it goes wrong?

We're here, are we not?

Ghost: That's not the answer I was looking for but sure.

We stopped in a circular plains, practically in the middle of nowhere.

???: I'm gonna check, make sure the coast is clear.

The man got off and ran to our right, leaving our sight. I got off the Sparrow as she got off the bike and stretched.

Austin: I don't like this at all.

Yang: It's a long shot, but maybe he actually knows.

I noticed a small shadow off the corner of my eyes and looked to see nothing.

Odd. Ghost. Got anything?

Ghost: I'm not picking up anything, why? See something?

I thought I did. Can you find out where we're at?

Ghost: Sure thing..

After a minute, Ghost suddenly yelled at me from my head.

Ghost: Hostile on our left! Bul-.

I managed to deflect the bullet with my left arm, sparks created from the contact. Yang and I looked to see the stranger and what looked like his friends surround us.

 Yang and I looked to see the stranger and what looked like his friends surround us

???: I can't believe you two were dumb enough to let me lead you here.

Austin: I wouldn't call it dumb.

Yang scanned the group, seven in all. A few with low caliber guns and most with flimsy swords.

Yang: Is this everyone?