Chapter Forty-Four: Secrecy is Key

Saladin's POV

Send a copy of this to Efrideet.

Ghost: On it.

As my Ghoft left the bedroom, I overheard the young one's conversation as I finished glossing over the recording.

Nora: Did he age backwards?

Jaune: He's possessed!

Weiss: What? Don't be silly.

Ren: Or reincarnated!

Ruby: Oh! Isn't it weird?

Oscar: It is very weird, yes.

Qrow: Okay, okay. Let's all just take a second and remember that this is very overwhelming for everyone.

I left the room to everyone nervously laughing and to a confused Efrideet.

Oscar: Thanks.

Qrow took a seat on the couch next to the young boy named Oscar. The others took their seats as I remained unnoticed by everyone other than Efrideet. The young man spoke as Ruby and him exchanged a glance.

Oscar: Ah, sorry!

He looked away from the group.

Oscar: It's just I've never really met Huntsmen and Huntresses before.

Ruby: Well, uh... we've never met a person with two souls! So, first times all around.

Oscar smiles and chuckles at Ruby, before he hears Qrow clear his throat.

Qrow: Not to break up the whole 'getting-to-know-you' game, but we need to have a talk. Mind showing us your little parlor trick, kid?

Oscar: Yeah, okay. Just so you know, I'll still be here.

What?

Oscar lowered his head and closed his eyes. Suddenly, a green and white aura shined from his body for a moment. As Oscar opened up his eyes, which are now glowing, and he smiles. A different tone of voice came our of his mouth as he spoke, as if he was an entirely different person.

Ozpin: It is so very good to see you again, students.

Everyone shared brief looks of confusion, myself included.

The hell is going on?

Jaune: Wait, what just happened?

Ren: Professor... Ozpin?

Ozpin: Correct. And though I may be the one speaking, Oscar is still present mentally. He's merely handed over the control, so to speak. I'm afraid this all must be very perplexing.

Blake: Very.

Nora: And alarming, and bizarre, and just really kind of of hard to believe overall!

Ozpin: It's good to see you children still have your sense of humor. I know you've all been through tremendous hardship already. I'm sorry.

Ruby: I mean, it's not your fault.

Ozpin: It's all my fault. I told you once that I made more mistakes than any man, woman, and child on this planet, and I wasn't exaggerating. I'm... cursed. For thousands of years, I've walked the surface of Remnant, living, dying, and reincarnating in the body of a like-minded soul.

Like a Guardian, but we keep our body. Strange.

Ozpin: The Professor Ozpin you all met was not my first form, and clearly wasn't my last. It's... an extraordinarily strenuous process on everyone involved.