Chapter Thirty: Menagerie

Austin's POV

An air horn sounded loudly as the offramp lowered to allow passengers to disembark. The four of us walked out of the boat to see Menagerie in its glory. The town has many small buildings and homes set among dunes and palm trees. The town bell rang as newcomers arrive. We stopped and looked around as Blake waited for all of us.

Blake: We'll discuss this matter at the house.

Austin: Sure. Wherever you feel most comfortable.

We begun to walk through the market area. Several kiosks filled the marketplace as faunuses walked through. Most of them looked in my direction, whispering to one another as I passed by. I could hear the word 'Atlas' thrown around more often than not.

Austin: If I had some Glimmer for every time I heard Atlas, I'd be rich.

Blake: The people back at Vale knew you were a Guardian. But here, they only see you as a pawn of Atlas.

Austin: Surprise.

I felt something enter my head.

Ghost: He says with sarcasm.

Ghost!

Ghost: Yeah.

Austin: How's everything going on Earth?

Ghost: We'll the good news is that Commander Zavala is still alive.

The bad?

Ghost: We don't know about the dusty old Qrow. Right now, Ruby and Weiss went to go find some herbs on their own.

Hawthorne's order?

Ghost: Correct.

Sun: I've never seen so many Faunus in one place!

Blake: This is the one place everyone can feel safe, no matter who or what they are.

Sun: Wow, sure is, uh, crowded, huh?

Blake: Yes. Yes, it is.

Sun dodged a woman carrying a box.

Sun: Is it always so... cramped?

Blake: Well, when you try and take an entire species and put them on an island that's two-thirds desert, yeah, it tends to be cramped.

Sun: What! You guys have that much more space? Why waste it? A little desert never hurt anyone!

Ghost popped out of my head to talk, Sun jumped a bit as it appeared on my shoulder.

Ghost: The desert isn't exactly the most hospitable place.

Blake: And the wildlife here is more dangerous than most other regions.

Sun: So, they give us a terrible island, in the corner of Remnant, to try and shut us up.

Blake: That's a pretty good summary, yeah.

Ghost: Hey Guardian. Does this remind you of the Awoken?

Austin: Talking about the Reef?

Ghost: Yeah, only difference is that they voluntarily did it.

Yang: Jerks.

Blake: We try to make the best of things.

We continued to walk down Menagerie till we were on a hill in a suburban district. Several houses lined up with palm trees as a giant manor towered the end of the street.