"Football is a Man's Sport" My Derriere. {1}

Football is not a game but a religion, a metaphysical island of fundamental truth in a highly verbalized, disguised society, a throwback of 30,000 generations of anthropological time.  

- Arnold Mandell

"Liz, go long!" My brother yelled. He snapped the ball. I took off, watching the football fly through the air as I ran. It started to come down. I leaped into the air and did a 360 turn, making a cradle with my arms to receive the ball perfectly.I landed in a crouch and whirled then ran to the touchdown zone.

"Touchdown!" I did the running man.

"That was a lucky catch," I looked to see my twin brother, Tyler, walking out to the field. My older brother, Gabriel, came from across the field and put an arm around my shoulders. "That was a perfect catch, and you know it Tyler." His voice was lighthearted but you could hear the warning behind it. One more word and Gabe would have Ty in a headlock. My twin shrugged. "Whatever. I just came to tell you that dad said to come inside. It's time for school."

"Kay." I slid from under Gabe's arm to go get the football. I got it and went to the house. My mom, Tina, was cooking pancakes and eggs at the stove. I pecked her on the cheek as a good morning and attempted to snatch a piece. She thwacked my hand with the spatula.

"Go take a shower first. Love you too."

I scowled at her cheeky grin and went to do as she told me. I went to my room and picked out a pair of jeans, a baggy red North High School sweatshirt (to show school spirit), a black tank top to go underneath it in case I needed to take it off, underclothes, and some Jordans. I went to the bathroom. Music could be heard blasting from the inside, and I heard my older sister's high voice singing 'Rude Boy' by Rihanna. I rolled my eyes. The song was disgusting and just got on my nerves. The timer on the wall rang and that was my signal to start pounding on the door.

"Sasha, open the door it's my turn!"

"Wait a sec!"

Translation: Hold on for twenty more minutes so I can get this curl just right.

"Sasha!"

"Okay, okay, hold on child, jeez." She opened the door and came out looking perfectly beautiful, as always. My older sister was flawless, with dark honey colored skin, big innocent hazel eyes, long brown hair that went just above the middle of her back, and a tall curvy figure. All the boys fawned over her at school.

"Done," She announced. "Go on in," She stepped out and I muttered a quick thanks before going in after her and shutting the door behind me. The bathroom that me and Sasha shared was brightly colored. I stripped out my sweaty clothes and hopped into the shower, praying that my sister didn't use all the hot water.

Every morning me and Gabriel would wake up at five o' clock in the morning to go outside and practice. Yes, we had a football field in our backyard. It was kind of a necessity since he was the football coach for our highschool team (or so he said). Anyways, we practiced every morning and I had actually gotten to be better than my brothers in the sport. I could play any position and knew how to plan wisely. Which sort of explained Ty's attitude.

You see, Tyler thought that football was a man's sport, and I rubbed it in by being better than him.

I scrubbed even harder at the thought of my pigheaded brother. I remembered that I only had twenty minutes and rinsed off, then stepped out of the shower. I turned off the water and looked at my reflection.

I was sort tall sort of short, medium height really. I had big brown eyes that could be used to manipulate my dad, smooth light chocolate colored skin, big cheeks that people liked to pinch, and long brown hair that I usually just wore down. I could be considered pretty, I guess, but not as beautiful as Sasha. I got dressed and put on a little eyeliner and lip gloss. I didn't usually, but it was a special occasion. The football championships.