Chapter 28- Vanatide

I collapsed to the floor as yellowish gas bellowed out of nowhere. It made it's way into my lungs, clogging them. Retching and gasping, I stood up and looked for the others. All I could see was gas. I coughed until my throat was raw. My leg gave way and I collapsed, still gasping. My brain felt like it was going round and round inside my head. The foul smell filled my nostrils. I'd smelt this before, somewhere...but where from? My brain didn't have the energy to work it out. I felt like I was floating on clouds. (It wasn't a pleasant feeling). I felt dreamy and dizzy. Nothing made sense anymore.

Kane stumbled away from the gas as soon as it hit Fauna. His heart was pounding "Kane! Get away from the gas!" screamed Grim. Kane clambered to his feet and stumbled away towards the others. "Fauna!" he cried. All he could see was a cloud of yellow smoke. His mind still hadn't come to terms with the kiss. It was the nicest feeling he had ever felt, to finally get his lips on Fauna's...

Kane shook those thoughts away. He had the gas and the kids to worry about. "Fauna!!" he screamed. No reply.

Then, out of nowhere, came Louie.

He ran over to the gas and disappeared inside it. Kane stared in shock. Idiot. Now he was going to get caught by the gas. A few minuets later, he came back out holding Fauna. He ran back towards the group and set Fauna down on the sand. Kane instantly knelt down beside her. The group crowded round. Fauna coughed and opened her eyes. "You're ok!" cried Monsoon. Fauna turned her unfocused eyes to Louie. "Louie..." she said in a dreamy kind of voice. "Er, yes?" said Louie. "Oooh Louie..." cooed Fauna, standing up. Kane stared. Something was wrong. A small spark of anger struck him in the heart. Fauna walked towards Louie in a hopping motion "Looooouie..."she said "I love you soooooo much!". Louie staggered back "Help me!" he stammered.

Fauna fell forward and grabbed Louie and hugged him tight. Louie had a panic attack "Help! Assault! Abuse! HELP!!" he cried. Kane glared at him "You don't like being hugged by her now?" he snarled. "Well, no, but, em, I just.." Louie stammered. "Oh I see!" cried Kane, his temper rising "You're putting it on! You wanted her for yourself! Since you've had the nerve to show you're monkey face to me again, I might as well tell you, she's mine! I love her! And I'm not gonna let some chip faced creep take her away from me!" "I d-d-don't love her!" protested Louie. As he spoke, his face changed. It became less monkey like and more human. But Kane didn't notice "Don't you understand anything!?" he screamed. Louie had the nerve to shake his head. "Don't you know what gas that is?" cried Kane, his voice breaking and tears coming to his eyes "It's Vanatide! When inhaled, it makes you tell the truth!" "Louie, I love you" cooed Fauna. Tears streamed down Kane's face "What she's saying is the truth! She doesn't love me! She loves you!" Louie was shocked into silence. Kane felt the lump in his throat get bigger as he watched Fauna kiss Louie on the cheek.

Kane couldn't take anymore. He turned and fled, sprinting as fast as he could, to get as far away from Louie as possible. When he looked back, he saw Fauna collapse and Louie hold her in his arms. That's right Fauna. Go to wonder boy. Kane ran until he reached the pier. He crawled underneath it and curled up into the tightest ball he could get into. He never cried. He didn't cry when Monsoon died. He didn't cry when Fauna was kidnapped. But this time was different. The one girl he loved, the one girl he could trust had betrayed him. She loved Louie and if that was the case, he would just leave them to it.

Kane hugged himself in his ball and shrieked as loud as loud as he could as the tears kept flowing.

Louie was going to die for this.