Chapter 16- The room of death

Finally, we reached the end of the somewhat endless corridor. I was pretty sure my hands had dropped off based on how they felt like dead weights. One Minja opened the door and pushed me inside. My body froze. This was a scene I knew all too well.

It was a lab.

Damn.

A scientist looked up from his computer screen and smiled. "Ahh! Experiment 9 I see!" he said cheerfully. He sounded cheerful but I promise you I was far from it. My heart leapt up into my throat as my eyes fell upon an operating table standing in the middle of the room. Remember your plan I told myself. Be as annoying as possible. Hopefully they won't be able to put up with you for long. I was lead over to the operating table soon my wrists and ankles were bound down with metal clasps. The scientist looked down on me and said "So... handing yourself over to us now, are we?" I groaned "Oh please, not that again" I said (re-read chapter 8 if you don't remember our little 'are we' fight). I began to sweat when I saw the scientist pull out a needle from a cabinet. "So, what's your name?" I asked nervously. The scientist looked round. "Um...Jack, why?" he asked. I smiled, and burst into another song:

"He drinks Daniel's at the bar, drives his daddy's jaguar, rocking clothes with Wills on the tag! Girl he's all up in your face, wanna put him in his place, and that's why I'd rather be Jack!"

"Be quiet!" Jack snapped. My 'be as annoying as possible' plan was working. I carried on with the song:

"Oh look, can't you see, he's a dick compared to me! I'm a poet look at me, shove that up your ass and see! THAT'S WHY I'D RATHER BE JACK!!" (I made up the second to last sentance)

One of the Minjas in the room put his hand over my mouth. Like I did with the last one, I bit his finger hard. The Minja snatched his hand away and I could just see blood come dripping out. Wow, I had a strong jaw! Jack was getting annoyed, he was just trying not to show it. He came up to me and pushed the needle into my arm much harder than he needed too and pulled the syringe up. I hissed in pain "Watch it!" I cried "If you cut my arm off or something I won't be able to kick your butt in when I escape!". Jack laughed, but it wasn't the kind of laugh people make when they find something funny. No, this was a different laugh; a laugh of pure evil. "You think you're going to escape, do you?" he asked. "Yes" I said boldly "My friends will come, you just wait and see!"

Jack laughed that evil laugh again. "Not all of your 'friends' will be coming" he said, putting my blood sample into a test tube. "What do you mean?" I asked suspiciously. Jack smiled "One of them is dead" he said simply. I gasped in horror. What?! "Wh-who?" I asked in a shaky voice. "A boy. The one with the blue hair. Experinment 12" he said. No...Monsoon?! A lump formed in my throat. I glanced across at the Minjas that were sniggering in the corner of the room. "You can shut up!" I shouted. Anger was bubbling up in my heart. Monsoon was dead. No...isn't that child abuse? Monsoon is dead! That sentence kept going round and round my head. It wouldn't compute.

The poor kid. He was only eight years old. Tears formed in my eyes. The Minjas saw this and started laughing louder. "Good riddance to the bloody kid" one of them whispered, but I heard him. I saw red then. Jack started laughing too. Everyone could see that the news hurt me and the bullies just wanted to rub it in. We had all been so close. I had comforted Monsoon when he had bad dreams. I had taught him how to read and how to fight. I had been like a mother to him, just like I had been to all the young ones...

The lump in my throat got bigger. Then I could take no more. Something snapped inside my heart. I thrashed around the table, screaming and swearing my head off. My body shook in agony when I thought that one of my friends, that I had been like a sister too, was dead. No one took any notice of my screaming; they just carried on laughing. In my torture, I cried out something stupid, but my voice broke as the tears ran down my cheeks "You will all go to Moldor, you will never reach enlightenment! The Nivana gates will remained closed to you sir!!" That was when Jack plunged a needle into my opposite arm and pushed the syringe (full of general anaesthetic) home. Like my dream/ childhood, I began to feel sleepy. I carried on screaming and crying but as I grew more and more tired my shouts and screams became mumbles and whispers. Soon I had no energy left to thrash around. The last thing I saw was a blurry figure (who I guessed was Jack) come and look over me, lauging like the Minjas. But the laughs seemed to come from miles away. I fought to keep my eyes open but I soon lost the battle.

That was when I blacked out...