Chapter 19- How to make a quick getaway

Finally, I gained enough strength to sit up. I got shooting pains down my back as I sat up but I ignored them. I looked around at my group. They were all asleep, covered with bruises and cuts and broken limbs. I wish we had Tibbs around, she could have made us all better with her magic tongue. Wait...Louie...where was he? Had he escaped? But then I remembered he was a Minja AND he kissed me.

That wasn't nice.

I shook off that memory and looked round again. Then I spotted Monsoon. But...Monsoon was...he's alive! I crawled over to him and brushed his navy blue hair out of his eyes. He sighed and woke up. "Hello Fauna" he whispered. "You're alive!" I whisper-shouted "I thought you were dead!" "I thought I was too!" said Monsoon. He smirked and I smirked too. Then we burst out laughing. We couldn't help ourselves. We hugged each other tight and laughed until tears ran down our cheeks. We woke everyone up with our laughing. "What's so funny?" asked Grim. I didn't answer. I just hugged my little brother just as tight, still laughing. I gathered everyone close to me and we group hugged. Soon we were all laughing. Laughing was obviously contagious. We didn't notice a van pull up right behind us.

Minjas pored out and crowded around us. We looked at them, but laughed even more! The Minjas looked at each other, puzzled. I don't even know what we were laughing at anymore. We rolled around the floor, laughing and laughing. I then took a deep breath and sobered up a bit. Kane did the same. We both stood up. Then the others sobered up and stood up too. It was then I noticed that we were somehow holding hands as we stood up. I snatched my hand away but, I'm not sure whether it was just me or, did Kane try to hold on? Oh well. We had to deal with these Minjas. Then I noticed a second van a few meters away. With expert vision I could see it clearly. I tapped Kane on the hand and nodded towards the van. Kane saw it and informed the others.

When I gave the signal, we legged it. We pushed past the Minjas and dashed towards the van. I got into the drivers seat, Kane got into the front passenger seat and Flame, Monsoon and Grim clambered into the back. It suddenly occurred to me that I was only 13 and I didn't have the foggiest idea how to drive. I made a quick list "Right: Wheel- check, mirror- check, wing mirrors- check..." "Just drive the bloody car!" screamed Kane "Look!". I looked through the mirror and saw the Minjas getting into their van and driving towards us. I stamped on the accelerator, making the van speed forward at about 100 miles and hour. The kids screamed as they fell back towards the open back door. Flame only just managed to shut the door. "Sorry!" I said.

That was when the car chase began.

Soon we found ourselves driving through the town. At first, I drove in the wrong lane and definitely broke the speed limit. I've heard somewhere that street lights mean 30; I must have been doing at least 130! When I managed to get myself in the right lane, I tried to slow down, but ended stalling the car and then I couldn't get it started again. I swore under my breath as I frantically kept pressing the engine 'start' button. The Minja van had almost caught up with us when the car finally started and shot forward. I drove straight through the middle of the two lanes. When I looked through the mirror, I saw the Minja van right on our tails. But that wasn't the only thing on our tails...damn, a police car. "The police!!" screamed Monsoon "I know!" I snapped. The blue light filled the car. I drove a little faster. Soon we realised that the Minjas weren't following us anymore. At least that was one threat off out tails. Then I slammed the brakes. The kids in the back got flung forward. "What the-?" they said together but then they saw. Another police car had stopped in front and two others stopped on either side of us. The one that had originally been chasing us stopped behind us. We were trapped. There was only one way left to go.

Police officers crowded around us and told us to get out. When we did, one police officer was just about to handcuff me when I morphed into a kestrel. Kane spread out his wings and the others had the spirits to help them. The police tried to get out cameras and take pictures but we were to quick for them. Soon we were high above the shocked officers.