One

The soft breeze teased itself through my chocolate locks as my legs sliced through it. I heard the faint cries of the coach cheering on Brendon, one of my closest friends, who was falling behind the rest of us. It was a hot Summer's afternoon and the sun's scorching rays beat down onto my already sweating forehead. Only a few more metres. My knees ached and my feet felt bruised, but I kept sprinting nonetheless. Jacob, my other friend, was in front of me, currently standing in first place. I pushed myself onwards, pouring any energy I had left into winning the race.

Closer and closer I got to the finishing line. I could almost smell the sense of victory I felt when I passed Jacob on my left side, just as we ran over the line. An enthusiastic squeal sounded from the bleachers. I looked up to see my current girlfriend, Skai, jumping up and down with glee whilst occasionally hugging her more down-to-earth friend, Lucy. "MY BABY WON!" She howled. I rolled my eyes slightly when she came bounding up to me.

"Hey, Skai," I smiled, though it felt like plastic.

"Congrats, honey-pop!" I winced at the nickname. She always gave me stupid pet-names that were unbearable, but the more I told her to stop, the more she did it.

"Thanks." The blonde-haired girl engulfed me in her limp arms, but she soon released me when she realised how much I'd perspired in the last five minutes.

"Hey, so my parents were asking if you wanted to join us for dinner at Bruccini's tonight at six. You in?" As much as I wanted to say no, I couldn't. Saying no would lead to questions, questions which I had no answer to. It wasn't a secret that I was possibly the World's worst liar.

"Erm... I guess that's fine." Goddamnit.

"Awesome! I'll meet you there then, cutiepie?"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," I huffed. You may be wondering why I'm even with this chick if I can't stand her so much. Well, that's easy. She's hot. And by hot I mean she looks like Jennifer Lawrence and Liam Hemsworth's love child. She had all the right curves in all the right places, gorgeous green eyes, silky hair, and lips like they were carved by an angel. You see, because I was considered 'one of the hottest guys in school' (as Brendon often put it) I had to date one of the hottest girls. Of course, I wasn't attracted to her in the slightest, but I needed to keep my social status at its very best.

Jacob approached me once Skai left. "Zak, dude, are you okay?"

"Yeah, why?" I said, attempting to figure out what the mysterious stain was on the sleeve of my gym kit.

"Well, you totally just brushed off Skai. That chick's all over you, dude, and you treat her like the mud on your kicks."

"I'm just tired, I guess. I mean, we did just do a two hundred metre sprint, Jake." I was praying that my awful lying skills wouldn't be so transparent, and luckily they weren't.

"Whatever. You coming?" He poked a thumb over his shoulder to the rest of my gym class heading to the showers. I nodded and followed him inside.

I made it to my next class just as the bell rang for the lesson to begin. "Okay, everyone, get out your textbooks and turn to page 185," Mr. Smythe announced. Shit. Of course, I'd forgotten my book. I raised my hand and Mr. Smythe rolled his eyes before asking me what was wrong.

"I forgot my book, sir," I stated.

"That's the third time this week, Zak," Mr. Smythe sighed.

"Sorry, it won't happen again."

"Yes, it will, Zak. I know you. Just share with Millie." I turned to a nerdy brunette sat beside me. She wore bottletop glasses on the bridge of her nose and had a ready-to-explode pimple on her chin. I internally gagged. I had to share a textbook with this girl? No way.

"I think I'll share with Brendon, instead," I told the teacher, who seemed extremely unimpressed with my attitude towards the girl to my left. Before rolling his eyes one last time, he began the lesson on something I paid no attention to.

School dragged on for a further two hours before I was freed from the Hell-hole. Jacob, Brendon and I walked home together that afternoon, since my car was in the garage after I'd accidentally run into a lamp post on my way home from some crazy party last Friday and the other's hadn't yet gotten their licenses. "So wait, her parents walked in on you guys doing it on the kitchen table?" Jacob gasped.

"Yeah, pretty much. If her dad had a gun, I'm pretty certain he would have shot me there and then," Brendon chuckled.

"Oh my god, that must've been so awkward!" Jacob cringed.

"Eh, I've had worse."

"Yeah? Like what?" I laughed airily.

"When I banged that chick at the movies and we were escorted out the building by security."

"But that wasn't her goddamn parents, Brendon!" Jacob sighed.

"Whatever. It was a one-time thing. It's not like I'm gonna see them again."

"True," I added. It didn't take longer than five minutes before I was on my front porch, waving off my best friends. "See you guys tomorrow!"

"Yeah, good luck with the whole Skai thing tonight!" Jake cried.

"Thanks, I'll need it!" I replied, whilst entering the house through the white door in front of me.

Mum was humming softly to herself, duster in-hand as per usual. Dad was sat obediently on the leather sofa in the living room with his reading glasses perched on his nose as he skimmed over the newspaper. "Hi, Mum, hi, Dad." I smiled warmly.

"Good afternoon, sweetheart. How was school?" Mum practically sang.

"School was school; boring. How was your day?" I asked, taking a seat at the breakfast bar in the open plan kitchen.

"It was lovely, Zak. Do you want a snack?"

"No, I'm fine. Oh, I almost forgot. Skai invited me out for dinner with her family tonight at six. Can I use the car?"

"No way in Hell!" Dad piped up from the lounge. "You'll end up smashing that one up too!"

"One time!" I huffed.

"Have you forgotten that time when you crashed your car into that parking monitor, or when you knocked the bumper of that other car because you were too busy trying to look up some girl's skirt?" He retorted, appearing by my side in the kitchen.

"Okay, that parking monitor appeared out of nowhere and I'm a hormonal teenage boy, I need relief sometimes." I argued.

"Too much information, Zakary," Dad winced. "My point is, until you prove your responsible enough, you won't be driving for another two months."

"Two months?!!!" I practically screamed.

"Yes, now go do your homework before you have to start getting ready to go out later."

"Ugh, fine," I huffed, muttering incoherent swears under my breath. "And for the record, that girl who's skirt I was trying to look up was a guy." And with that, I scrambled up the staircase and to my bedroom.