Blood-Red Escape

Everything ached and moaned at me, telling me that I wanted to go back to sweet sleep. But I can't... I need to know what these tests were.Sitting up, my head started to spin, and the person on my small chair  in the corner of the room appeared as four.

"Woah..." I complained, and the blob of colours came to hold me upright. 

"Destery? Are you ok?" I heard Carrie's familiar voice. Carrie!

"What do you think? What happened, Carrie?" I asked, my vision coming back. Her wavy brown hair was messy, and she had massive bags under her eyes. had she stayed here all night?

"I would say it's complicated, but it's really not. Basically, with every new person that comes here, they have a test for. It may just be a health fitness test, or something like the one arranged for you." She gave me a sympathetic look. Unwanted images and memories flashed through my mind. Clawing, screaming... hurting. I tried to snap out of it.

"Wait... you knew about it?" I asked.

"Well, yeah... everyone did. I'm sorry, we aren't allowed to tell you. It's punishable with, you guessed it, more tests." Carrie sighed and her eyes- normally full of life- went dull and she thought about something.

"Carrie... what was your test?" I asked in a whisper, somehow thinking it was a big secret.

Snapping out of her thoughts, her head turned to me. She simply lifted up her gown sleeve to show a massive, ugly scar covering just below her shoulder. I gasped, and looked at her in confusion.

"They shot me." She said simply. I wasn't going to push her for more. Carrie's too young to be involved in any of this. My mind was set.

"Carrie. Get your things." I stated simply, going to get my own.

"What? Why?" She got up, following me around while I rushed around the room to collect what few things I had. Every muscle in my body told me to get back into bed, but no. I wasn't doing any more of this rubbish.

"We're leaving, Carrie. I may need to be here, but you certainly don't. Let's get out of here." I packed a backpack, and she stood next to the metal railing. 

"Destery, we can't. They'll catch us and punish us." Carrie said sharply in a hushed hiss. 

"I'd rather try than stay here forever and a day!" I hissed back, zipping up the bag and making my way to her room. Although she followed, it was only because she didn't want to be alone around this place.

"Destery, this is a really bad idea. Anyway, I have no-where to go." She whispered, people passing us as we sped through the hallway to her bed.

"Don't be silly. Come with me." I said back. Carrie sighed and gave up. We sped-walk to where her things were.

The plan of action was to find the exit, and run for it. We're so civilized and crafty like that. From Carrie's experience (and hesitance) we now know that the guard's shift in about ten minutes. That means that, for about two minutes, it's completely unguarded. Apart from the security camera's... but all well. Close enough.

"Ready for action?" I smiled at Carrie, and she rolled her eyes. She's hilarious.

We walked down the plain white corridor, with the plain white people walking through them as nonchalantly as possible. Considering we had backpacks and trainers on, we did our best. 

"Casual..." Carrie warned, and I nodded. We pretended to joke around, talk about how bad the food is. Three minutes.

After three corners, we found the door that said 'Reception'. I had this covered. Carrie opened the door, and showed me in first. I was speaking then, I'm guessing. Walking up to the desk, the receptionist turned his nose up at me. 

"Yes?" He asked, in a very snobby voice that I just wanted to not hear.

"Er..." I tried to come up with a lie to get us upstairs. "We're both on our periods, and we've been told to get some sanitary towles from upstairs." I smiled, and made my body language awkward. I could so be an actress. Well, if it wasn't for the whole possession thing...

"Oh..." He said awkwardly, and pressed a button to clear entrance for the lift. Ha. Sucker.

Carrie followed me and started giggling, this is funny in some way... but we only have a minute until change-over. We opened the lift, and pressed for ground floor. 

More walking, jesus. How big is this place? We were in the main hospital, and the familiar smell of medicine left a sickly churning feeling in my stomach. Let's get to the back as soon as possible. 

"Destery, 30 seconds." Carrie warned, and I nodded and started to run. The back door was signed to be one corner away. We skidded around the corner, adrenaline pumping through us. I could see it! "Des!" Carrie whispered, and pointed the the guard just leaving. Right on time! We both smiled like big kids... whish is what we are... and hid behind the corner until he left. "Right, we have approximately two minutes until the other guard comes. We need to wait a minute so the guard is well ahead and won't see us." Carrie warned, and we both hid in a closet.

The footsteps passed, and we mouthed our signal to run. One, two... THREE!

We shot out of the closet and ran full-speed the the door. Carrie got there first, and opened the door. For the first time in days, maybe even a week, I could have some fresh air. God knows how it must feel to Carrie. There was no time to savour the nice feeling though, and suddenly the inviting wind shipped through my hair as I ran, side to side with my new best friend. We were going home!

The car park was coming up, and we were already getting several looks. Do we have to run all the way to my house? I guess I didn't think that through.

"Come on Carrie!" I panted between words, starting to hear shouts behind us. Suddenly, it reminded me of my first haunt in the woods... when the shadows and voices kept coming and I was determined to keep on running. Gosh, wasn't I Carrie's age? No. Snap out of it. Don't think about the woods, just run.

I focussed on my feet making the steady pat, pat, pat against the tarmac, when we reached the pavement to Flanders Street. Only 5 blocks away, we can do this. 

"Take the next left!" I panted, and Carrie nodded at me, even though she was infront. The voices were getting quiter, had they given up? I hope so. I made the desision to carry on sprinting until we were out of sight, then jog for a couple of blocks, until we knew were were safe to walk. Hopefully Carrie had the same idea.

Just keep running.

We walked down my drive, and I could see my Dad peeking through the curtains. I guess it was only eight, or something. I could see his face swirl with confusion, but then only joy. I could see his mouth moving, probably calling everyone for the door. I knocked, and Carrie looked at me worriedly.

"Don't worry. They'll love you!" I hugged her shoulders from the side, and he rested her head on my shoulder. 

The door opened, to present a very happy Mum holding a very happy Niall. I smiled, and we all enveloped in a big hug. Even Carrie.