Blood-Red Acceptance

We'd watched three hours worth of Big Bang Theory, and we were both ready to do something else. We'd laughed, talked and made jokes and I loved that... the friendship. So what if she's four years younger? She's mentally older, I'd say.

"Hey, how about you playing your Piano for me?" Carrie said in a sing-song voice. I laughed, and got out of bed. I was in my wolf PJ's? Huh, I never noticed. Carrie laughed as I grabbed her hand and lead her to my piano two metres away. Sitting on my stool, and patted the space next to me, in a gesture for her to join me. She sat down, and waited patiently while I gathered my thoughts.

I was happy, but the memories created a dark undertone. When my fingers drifted, finsing the right notes, I begun to flow. The melody was springy, much like summer when you're having a slush puppy. But the undertone was dark, getting louder while getting ready to attack. I imagined the piece as a fox attacking a rabbit as it jumped around merrily. The woods was the setting, not my woods, but a hilly and dark one. Sly, vicious, waiting... My fingers locked onto certain keys and pressed sound, like an attack. However, much like me, the rabbit was back up. It was less happy, and the darkness took the main melody until it was just three, low notes playing until it was silent.

I breathed in deeply, and let it back out before taking my hands off the keys. I closed my eyes, keeping my fears in... I'm not a rabbit. I'm the fox, as a wolf hunts me while I'm hunting something in order to survive. Carrie exclaimed something, but I needed to breath. 

"Are.. you okay?" Carrie put her hand on my back and my head tilted forward.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I re-assured her with a smile. She smiled back.

"That was truly amazing. You're amazing!" Carrie shook my shoulder. I laughed in broken breaths.

"Thanks... want to learn the basics?" I lifted my head to look at her as she jumped in excitment. 

"Please!"

"Okay... see these two black keys, near the top?" She nodded, "Those are the sharps and flats. The two you're looking at is where you need to put your hand, really. The white key directly to the left of the first black key is C. From then it goes to G..." I slided my hand across slowly. "Then it goes from A-G. Got it?" I attempted to explain, but it was hard when you wasn't taught yourself.

Carrie got to grips with the keys, pressing one or two making single sounds. "Got it." She said, and I carried on.

"The first C-G you see, is five notes. Therefore you can generally move your hand around any where, as long as you know how to locate them. Once you know the notes, you can work from a book..."

***

The tutoring lasted for hours, rather than half of one like intended. Carrie can play a couple of pieces, and is brilliant with one hand, and getting there with both. I was pretty proud to say that I'd taught her that far.

We were currently in the kitchen with my Mum and Dad, and it was six'o'clock. I knew since I woke up that we'd need to talk.

"Honey... Me and your father want to ask a couple of things. Don't worry, We won't ask why you went... just about a couple of other things." Mum smiled in comfort, and it was nice to know that they weren't going to ask that question.

"Of course." I looked over to Carrie, who was awkwardly stirring her soup in silence. No help from there, I had to fight this corner on my own.

"Are you okay?" Dad asked first, and I nearly cried at his saddened expression.

"I've been getting better." I choked a little, but smiled to assure him that I meant it.

"That's nice to hear..." Dad looked to the floor, most likely not to speak again. Mum looked eager to ask me something, and I couldn't help but dread it.

"Sweetie, what happened in the hospital?" Mum tried to smile, but my plastered expression dropped. My mouth hung at what felt like my feet, and even Carrie inhaled. I looked over to Carrie and her eyebrows were rising. 

"Erm..." I was lost for words, I didn't know what she already knew. "The hospital, it was a mental institution. They did... tests on me. Mummy, I thought I was going to die!" I let it out, and started crying like a baby. Mum just came over and let me cry into her chest from where I sat. She hushed me, and I could hear Carrie crying quietly beside me. I also heard Dad get up to comfort her, which made me smile amongst my cries.

"Okay, okay. Hush, baby. No more questions, I promise." Mum smoothed my fringe, and wrapped her fingers in my curls. 

"Is it all going to be alright?" I asked, muttering it into her chest.

"Yes, hun, we'll make it alright. I'm so sorry for ever doubting you." Mum started crying too, so I pulled her too.

"No, Mum. No more crying. We're Meadow's! We're strong." I stated, looking over to Carrie and Dad. 

"That's you too, Carrie." Mum smiled, and Carrie laughed amongst her tears.