61

JANINE

Camp just started one day ago, and even though we all are reunited, the only thing I can't help but think is that the USWNT, including Ali Krieger, is training in the same state as we do. I know Shelina is worried about that, even though she doesn't want to admit it. Ever since camp began, she just hangs out with Steph Labbé, her usual bestie, and the only times I get to talk to her is right before going to bed, because John made us room together again. This whole situation - regardless the fantastic pair of days we spent just the two of us, laughing, wandering, messing around, talking... - is weird, and I don't get why. 

As I am sitting on my own, putting my cleats on, the girls already are kicking the balls. Every time I look up, I can't help but look for her, just to make sure she is okay. I know it sound stupid, because nothing could happen to her here, unless someone murder her with their cleats or drown her in water, but I just can't help it. 

Someone taps on my head, and when I look up, I see Diana Matheson sitting next to me, raising her eyebrows. 

"I didn't know you had a softy for Zadorsky" she thoughtfully says, her eyes won't leave me alone. 

I certainly blush, because that makes her smirk. Is it that obvious ? I ask myself, totally freaking out. I look around to find out nobody is listening to us. Of course, D-Math wouldn't make me feel uncomfortable in front of everybody, she's too good for that. 

I silently shake my head. 

"Shit happens, you know" I let out, bitter. 

She has a motherly smile on her lips. Right after she notices that I am not okay with that attraction, she puts a hand on my shoulder, squeezing it. Then, I feel another person sit down next to me and recognize Sincy. 

D-Math smiles again. 

"You know she's trying to make you miss her ?" Sincy asks, raising her eyebrows. 

My head immediately straighten, as I look back and forth in between the two older girls. "She is ?" I ask, disoriented.   

"Don't tell Tanc" D-Math starts, and I immediately know where this is going. They constantly are in competition for everything. "But she was right about you guys."

"What do you mean ?" I ask, beyond worried. 

Both Sincy and D-Math burst into laughter. 

"During our time in Rio, she just kept on saying that there was something electric between you two, but she wasn't sure what. Then, when she stayed in Houston with you two and Carm, she texted us to say that you totally was into her and that she was right" the smallest explains, serious all of a sudden. 

My eyes go wide. 

"B-but-" I start, but am immediately cut off. 

Sincy has her finger raised in front of my face. "You totally are into her, don't even try to deny it."

I sign. "Even if I was, she doesn't return the hypothetical feelings. She loves someone else and even had sex with that person, so..."

You weren't supposed to say that, stupid, I think to myself, before panicking. But what I said is true : I don't stand a chance ; she's older, she knows her well, she's very nice and way more interesting that I am. After all, I'm just a clumsy, little soccer player that is dramatically falling for the wrong girl. 

Seeing that my facial expression has turned from confused to depressed, Sincy shakes her head and grabs my shoulders. 

"She does look at you in a different way, believe me" the captain insists, while D-Math is nodding.

The brunette adds : "And she can't stop talking about you. It's always 'Janine did this', 'Janine told me that', and so on."

"That doesn't mean anything." I harshly say. 

They both shake their heads, but John calls us to the middle of the field, and I am way too happy to run there to escape the two women. Today, I haven't looked at Shelina even once from now on. 

** 

ANDI

"Why is everyone leaving ?" Rose asks, confused. 

Ash turns around, staring at us. "Becky had a baby, so we're flying to Kansas to see her and Carli. You know, team veteran bonding."

Indeed, I realize only her, Pinoe, Amy, Ali, Kelley, Julie and Alyssa are going. Back line strong, I think to myself, before nodding and going back to my lecture. 

Once the seven girls departed, there only was half an hour remaining before training. I honestly could have used a day off right now, because my body is dead. And I know it is the case for several girls, including Rose and Gibby, that are on the other side of the couch, talking about Wilma. Jane, on the other hand, is hanging out with Adriana and Casey, the two remaining keepers at camp now. She glances at me from time to time, and when I return her looks, she immediately looks away. 

Sonnett, who has been looking at me for a little while now, asks : 

"Do you know people are calling you 'mini-Carli' now ?"

I smirk. "You know people are shipping 'So'hara' now ?" I fight back, and she burst into laughter. 

"Kitty got claws" Lindsey comments, out of breath because she's making fun of Sonnett. "But, like, I ship So'hara too !"

She earns a death glare from Emily, who really seems amused by that weird ship. As far as I am concerned, being considered as the new Carli Lloyd is an honor, but that makes me stress out ; what if I am not good enough, and will never be ? It's just like Jane ; people are saying she's the next Hope Solo, future of the USWNT back line, and that only makes her freak out even more than she usually does. That's so much pressure to be considered as legacies, as the girls that have the weight of the future on their shoulders. 

Hopefully, Rose changes the subject : 

"Where are Moe, Abby and Sam ?"

"Geez" Lindsey lets out, rolling her eyes. Of course, everybody here know that Rose is asking questions all the freaking time. The forward answers : "Abby has a meeting with Jae, Allie and Casey right now, and Sam and Moe went shopping."

Rose rolls her eyes. "Why isn't Gibby in the defenders' meeting ?" she then sarcastically asks, messing with the brunette's hair. 

"I've already spoken with Jill yesterday" she lets out, rolling her eyes at the number one Draft pick. 

As I see the debate continuing, I also notice that Jane had gotten up and started to get out of the room. She makes me a little wave so that I'd follow her, so that's what I do. When we make it to the hallway, she suddenly looks nervous. 

I raise my eyebrow at her. 

"Here's the thing" she starts, looking down at me. 

I smirk and can't help but say : "I swear to God if you say you're pregnant too..."

That makes her burst into laughter (actually, it was more like a giggle, because she never fully laughs ) and she shakes her head. 

"You're stupid" she lets out, rolling her eyes. "No, I'm not pregnant. It's just that my parents are in Carson and offered to invite us both to dinner tonight. So, will you come ?"

I can't help but smile. 

"Of course ! Your parents love me, so I can't say no !" I exclaim. 

Is it me or her cheeks are a little bit red

"Great then" she mumblers, before winking and going to Dawn, who is making her way to the room where everybody is in. 

After staring at her walking away, I slowly go back to the common room and sit down next to Lindsey. The topic has changed : Wilma again.