Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Wanna make cookies?" Saint nodded.

"Deira can't cook. I like you better. Why can't I stay with you?"

"Because you are Jerome's responsibility not mine. I have my own now." Grace explained taking the things down she needed to make the cookies. "Go under there and get some bowls out."

"Ok." Saint said getting on his knees and crawling over to the cabinet. He got out a bunch of bowls and set them on the table.

"Come put these all on the table nice and neat." Grace said moving to get measuring cups and spoons.

"Can I eat come chocolate now?" Saint asked.

"No." She told him. "If we have some left over you can."

"Ok."

"Go fill this up exactly to right here." She told him. "With water."

"Got it." The door opened and Gary came in.

"Hey daddy."

"Hey baby. What you doing?" He asked coming in.

"Babysitting and making cookies." She said. "Need me to make dinner for you so you can relax."

"What you plan on cooking?" He asked.

"I was gonna do this recipe I found on Food Network."

"Ok. Just don't burn the house down." Grace laughed and Gary went to the back.

"Alright let's get started." Grace said. She helped Saint get started while she started on dinner. She cooked the tater tots and steak strips with green peppers and onions. She checked on Saint and he was mixing it.

"Oh my God Saint you're so smart. Look how good you're doing." Grace said. "My little chef."

"I measured everything just like you told me to and mixed it." He said. "It was chocolate left over so I ate it."

"All of it?" He shook his head. "You still have to eat dinner."

"It was only a few left." He whined.

"Okay." She said checking on her food. She took a pan out and poured the tator tots on it. She spread the streak and veges over it then layering it with nacho cheese. She repeated this again covering the top with mozzarella. She pooped it I the oven until the cheese melted then took it out.

"Alright you done with your cookies?" She asked with a smile going over to him. He had them in messy balls and dough on his hands. Grace laughed and Saint smiled. "Awe how adorable."

She put them in the oven and set the timer. "Go wash up and get my dad so we can eat."

"Ok." Saint said getting up. There was a knock on the door and Grace went to answer it.

"I thought you said you would text. We're getting ready to eat. You're welcome to come in." She offered to Jerome.

"It do smell good, but I see your dad home and I don't wanna make things awkward. Just send him outside when he done." Jerome said.

"Ok." Grace said watching him walk away. She came back in and Gary was laughing with Saint.

"Hey Grace, where'd you find this kid at?" He asked slapping his knee. "I love him, he's hilarious."

"He's in the big brother little brother program and he's Jerome's little brother." Grace said ruffling up his hair then whispered, "Jerome wasn't all bad. Saint's parents are dead."

"Oh." Gary said. "Good things Jerome's doing something. So you forgave him?"

"Not really, but I still tutor him and help with Saint when I can." Grace said serving everybody. She took the cookies out and set them to the side.

"Grace this is good." Her dad said. "Where'd you get this?"

"Food network." She said. "It was simple so I tried it. Saint made the cookies from scratch by himself."

"Really?" He asked and Saint nodded.

"All by myself." Saint comfirmed.

After dinner Grace and Saint cleaned the kitchen up making it spotless. Grace took down a tupperware and filled it with the leftovers. She covered it and wrote a note taping it to the top. "Ok Saint." She said kneeling down. "I want you to be a good boy. Here's your cookies and this is for Jerome. He's outsdie waiting on you."

"Bye Grace." Saint said hugging her. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

Jerome started the car when Saint came out and waved to Grace. "What did yall do?"

"Cook and hangout." He said. "She made this for you." He handed him the container and he set it to the side.

"Alright." He said taking them home. When he got back to the trap he took the note off the top and put it in the microwave.

I didn't forgot about you big head.

-Grace

Jerome laughed and put the note in his pocket. "I miss that girl." He told himself taking the food out.

"What's that? It smells good." Monica said grabbing forks. "You know you're sharing."

"Whatever." He said taking it to his office. She sat across from him and they started digging in.

"This is good." Monica said wiping her mouth. "Where'd you get it from?"

"I think Grace made it." Jerome said. Monica froze.

"You still talking to that trick?"

"No. Saint went over there today and she did some cooking with him. They made this and homemade cookies." Jerome said. "And don't call her a trick. Especially around Grayson. Don't even mention her by name."

"Grayson stole your girl?"

"No some nigga name Kelly did, Grayson's just her brother." Jerome said.

"Oh." Monica said going back into the food. "Well she can cook. I'll give her that. Send Saint more often. I like free meals."

"Ok. Let's do this." Grayson said coming in. "Get out."

"What?"

"It's that time of the month nigga." Grayson said coming in.

"Shit." Jerome groaned picking up his food. "Ight. Hopefully you don't find nothing cause I ain't hide shit."

"Yeah yeah." Grayson said. "Get ghost."

"I'll be back soon?" Jerome said.

"Where." Monica said.

"I'll be back." He repeated.

"Ok." She growled. Jerome smacked and grabbed his keys. He drove home and his mom hugged him.

"I thought they got you." She said. "Don't you ever again in your life go more than two days without talking to me. It's way too scary."

"I'm sorry ma." Jerome said. "I been so busy. I was just caught up and I never forgot about you though."

"You better not. I could've used that excuse for not taking yo ass home after you was born."

"Maaaa..." Jerome said. "Why would you say that?"

"Because I love you." She said. "And I'd never leave you anywhere on purpose."