Chapter Thirteen

Grace felt so bad walking into school the next day. She had yet to miss a day of high school until yesterday. Veneer found his way to her and he folded his arms.

"Where were you yesterday?" He asked. "You're lucky I took notes for you."

"I was sick." She lied looking away.

"You are a horrible liar." He said. "You were skipping with Jerome."

She sighed knowing she'd been busted. "I'm sorry. But there was children and I love children."

"Children? Like his children?" He asked.

"No? Like an adopted child and the girl was his." Grace explained. "They were absolutely adorable."

"I don't care. School is way more important than you playing house with some nigga you like." Veneer said lecturing for not the first time.

"Ok I get that, but I didn't have a choice." Grace explained seeing Jerome dap up some of his niggas out of the corner of her eye. "He just took me to his house."

"Well, I'm gonna leave you to discuss this issue with him." He said walking off.

"Hey baby." Jerome said kissing her cheek.

"Hey." Grace said with a small smile.

"We still on for tutoring today?" He asked. She nodded and took a step away. He pulled her back with his eyebrows furrowed. "What?"

"I was going to class." She said halfway telling the truth.

"You still have six minutes." He said. "Come with me to the vending machine."

"I don't feel like it." Grace said.

"I'll buy you whatever you want." He told her. "Just come with me."

"Anything?" He nodded. "Ok."

He smiled and they walked towards the vending machine. He put a 10 in there and got what he wanted. "What you want?"

"Umm." She pushed the buttons for what she wanted and Jerome grabbed it for her. "Thank you." She said.

"It's no problem." He told her. "Let's go. I'll walk you to class."

"Ok." Grace walked with Jerome to her class and he left.

After school, Grace met up with Jerome and they went to the library as usual.

"Ok, so what today?" Grace asked lazily pulling out her books.

"Science and Math." He said scrolling through his phone. Grace watched his facial expression change and she knew he was looking at pictures of women who were prettier than her.

She felt her face grow hot and she pretended to check her phone. "Jerome I have to get home. My dad just texted me. He's leaving and he wants me home."

"That's fine. I don't mind doing it at your place." He said closing his books.

"My dad doesn't allow anybody, but Veneer over." She told him.

"That sucks." He said standing up.

"I gotta get home anyways." He said. "You mind if I come by after he leave?"

"I'm way to scared to break his rules." She said walking out with him.

"You can't be with me and follow the rules at the same time." He said.

"Then we can't be together." She said. "Please take me home."

"I'm just joking." He said getting in. Grace got in also and he took her home. She was about to get out, but Jerome stopped her.