Chapter Ten

When Grace got to school the next morning, she had to wait on Jerome who never showed up to school. After school though he was waiting to pick her up. She sighed and got in. He leaned over and kissed her. Grace's eyes got big before she relaxed and started kissing him back. He pulled away and unparked the car.

"Where you wanna go?" He asked. "Home?"

"Um not really." She said staring at him.

"What?" He asked pulling out.

"Why'd you kiss me?" I asked.

"You're my girl. Am I not supposed to?" He asked.

"Where are you taking me?" She asked.

"Relax. You coming with me since you don't want to go home." He said.

"Can you tell me where though?" She asked. "I mean home is not a bad place, atleast I know where it is."

"Just running some errands." He said. "Chill, you can ride for a couple hours."

Grace sighed and sat back closing her eyes. They drove for 20 minutes before stopping. Grace opened her eye and watched Jerome get out.

"Grace come on." He said. She pretended to not hear him. "I know you're not sleep." He said coming over to her side. He opened the door and unbuckled her. "Come on you wasting time. I can't carry you." He pulled her out and she groaned.

"I don't wanna go in." She said.

"I'm not leaving you out here." He said. Grace stood up and rolled her eyes.

"Fine. I wanna go home now." She said.

Jerome turned around and looked at her. He wrapped his hand around her waist and pulled her in kissing her neck. "Come on." She started giggling and trying to push him off.

"No let me go." He held her tighter with two hands and continued to kiss her. She bust out laughing and even got a smile out of Jerome. He stopped and remembered what he was doing with her and cleared his throat backing up.

"You know what if you wanna stay outside you can. I don't care." He said turning around. Grace forrowed her eyebrows and followed him.

"I'll come." She said. He locked his door and placed his arm around her waist again.

"Good. I'm hungry." He said opening the door.

Jerome took a blunt out of one of his boys hands and lit it. He held it out to Grace and she shook her head making him laugh. He blew smoke out and looked at Grace.

"What?" She asked.

"You sure you don't want a hit?" He asked again.

"I'm positive." She said. "Why are we here?"

"To get something to eat." He said. "Johnny makes the best."

"Oh." Grace said.

"Go ahead and order." He said in her ear. The woman behind the counter frowned at Grace. Jerome knew it was because they fuck and she was jealous. "Get the cheese burger. You'll like it." He said kissing her ear.

She ordered accordingly and Jerome ordered also. He paid and pulled Grace off to the side out of the way of the next customer. He continued to smoke and Grace stood under him with her head in his chest.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"My nose burns." She said looking up at him.

"I'm sorry." He said grabbing the bag. Yasmeen smiled and winked at him. "Go find a table." I said handing her the bag.

"Ok." She said walking away.

"Jerome what you doing with her? I thought we was kicking." She asked.

"Get out ya feelings girl. You knew we wasn't nothing." He said.

"Look why don't you come by tonight and it'll be just like it used to." She said.

"I'll think about it." He said. "If she doesn't get sick I'll reward you for not fucking with her food."

"Ok." She said smiling. "I guess I'll see you then."

Jerome backed up from the counter and turned around walking over to Grace. He sat down and saw she wasn't eating.

"Why aren't you eating?" He asked.

"I'm uncomfortable and scared. I saw the way the girl looked at me." She said.

"Ok. I'll eat your sandwich if you don't mind eating mine." He said handing her his. "Better."

"Yeah, I guess." She said. They ate in silence before Jerome spoke up.

"I hope you feel special because I've never brought any girl here." He said. "Not the best place in the world, but it's special to me."

"Oh why?" She asked looking around.

"It's the reason I do what I do today." He said wiping his mouth. "You gonna finish that?"

"You can have it." She said giving him the other half of her burger.

"You still wanna ride with me or are you ready to go home?"

"I'll stay." She said licking her lips. "Thanks for the burger. It was good."

"I know." He said standing up and throwing away his trash.

"So where are we going now?" Grace asked getting in the car.

"Well I have to meet someone at the park." He said. "Then, you can pick where you wanna go. That's it for me."

"Cool. Who are you meeting?" Jerome smiled at her.

"Don't worry about it." He said. He turned on some music and started rapping along to Wet Dreamz. Grace closed her eyes again and pretended to be asleep.

"I'll be right back." He said getting out the car. He walked up to Regina's car and leaned in the window.

"Who's that?" She asked.

"Don't worry about it." He said. "What do you want?"

"Well, I have a problem." She said. "My mother got into a some trouble and I need money to help her."

Jerome scoffed. "Why would I help her? She can rot for all I care."

"I'll let you keep Camellia." She said. "I.just.need.the.money."

"Bribe me with my daughter?" He said laughing.

"Look. My mom can't say anything." She said. "You'll be bailing her out."

"I need more convincing." He said leaning in a little more.

"Sex?" He smiled and nodded. She sighed and stared forward.

"Think about it." He said standing straight up.

"Wait." She sighed. "Fine."

"That was quick. How much you need?"

"5,000." Jerome went to his car to retrieve it.

"Who is that?" Jerome ignored her and brought her the money.

"Thank you." She said. "She's in the back seat. I packed a bag for her, but you'll need more."

"Yeah whatever." He said opening the door and grabbing Camellia. He grabbed the bag and brought it to his car.

"Grace." He said waking her up. "Hold her for me."

"A baby?" She asked quietly holding her arms out. Jerome went back for the carseat and Regina drove off.

He got the seat in and put the baby in it. He got in the car and Grace was still almost out. "Grace."

"Huh?" She said sitting up. "Whose baby is that?"

"Mine." He said. "Don't worry about it. Imma take you home and we'll talk tomorrow."