Chapter Nine

Grace walked up and hugged Jerome around his torso. He turned around and smiled before hugging her back.

"You didn't text me last night." She whined. "I was waiting."

"Man, I forgot. I got in late and crashed. My bad. It won't happen again." He lied. "At least I'll try to not let it happen again."

"Ok make sure it doesn't happen again." She told him kissing his cheek. "Well, I have to get to class. I'll talk to you later."

"I'll see you." He said watching her walk away.

Grace went through the door and sat down next to Veneer. "Hey Vee." She said smiling.

"Hey Grace." He said sitting back in his chair. "I saw you kiss Jerome." He teased.

"Oh shut up." Grace groaned. "It was just a peck on the cheek. Nothing serious."

"Don't catch no disease. You better wash your mouth before kissing on me." He said.

She gasped looking around. "Shut up. I don't kiss on you."

"Ok ok I won't say it anymore." He said. "But what do you see in that guy? He's not your type. I really don't think I can stand watching you get hurt."

"Veneer stop worrying." She said rolling her eyes. "I told you I don't plan to get attached. It's just a trial. It's not like I'll have sex with him. I'm not stupid."

"I don't trust yall." He growled. "Grayson doesn't play about you."

"Grayson won't know. Right?" She asked him.

"I won't tell. If that's what you think. But if he asks I'm not lying to him."

"Ok. Fair enough. Because I know he won't ask." She said folding her arms and facing away.

After school Jerome met up with Grace. "Hey little lady."

"Hey." She said smiling at him. They walked to his car and Grace waited for him to open the door. He got in and started the car.

"Well, are you coming?" He asked. Grace rolled her eyes and got in. "What?"

"Nothing." She said buckling up. She put a smile on her face and reached for Jerome's hand. "Did you get your test back?"

Jerome looked away. He got it back, but it wasn't anything to be proud of. He got a 42. "Uh not yet. I'm sure I'll have by the end of the week."

"Ok." She said nodding. "So what subject do you need help in today?"

"Math still. We're getting stacked with work."

"That's fine. I'm sure you've got it." Grace said.

"Especially with your help." He said taking his hand away so he could use his phone.

"Hey? Did you plan on...nevermind." She said looking out of the window.

"Alright." Jerome said looking through his texts. One was from Regina and it was a picture of his daughter dressed up for her Christening. The text was a few days old, but he never saw it until now.

"Jerome the lights green." Grace said taking him away from the picture. He snapped his attention up and realized he was being honked at. He sped off and Grace clutched onto her seatbelt. "Jerome are you ok?"

"Yeah I'm fine. Just wasn't paying attention." He said. He drove silently to the library and they got out.

"Ok so where do we need to start?" Grace asked pulling out her utensils.

"Uh here." He said handing her his assignment.

Grace helped Jerome through his work for a few hours before he called it quits and took her home.

"I'll call you tonight." He said unconvincingly.

"Ok, I'll see you tomorrow." Grace said sadly. She really wanted to spend more time with him. "Wait."

"What?" He mumbled.

"What are you going to do?" She asked with a smile.

He chuckled and shook his head. "I'm meeting a friend. Go be a good girl, and stay out of trouble."

Grace sighed and turned around going inside. She listened to him leave and watched him pull off.

"What can I do to get his attention?" She asked herself. "I'll think of something."

Gary was already in the kitchen making dinner. "Where have you been?"

"I was at the library. I didn't plan for it to take so long." She told him.

"What are you wearing?" He asked, talking about her necklace and earrings.

"Oh, these?" She asked trying to come of with a lie. "Veneer gave them to me."

"Veneer?" She nodded. "Mhm. You better not be seeing no little boy."

"Don't worry daddy. I'm not." She said with a smile and going upstairs. She took a shower and called Veneer.

"Where have you been? You were supposed to call me." He whined.

"I was helping Jerome." She said. "I'm sorry, but you're fine."

"I'm not ok. I'm never fine." He said. "You hold me together."

"Aww. I'll make sure I make it up to you." Grace joked laughing. "Don't cry yourself to sleep."

"I'll try not to." He said. "Don't bail again."

"I'll try to." Grace said rolling her eyes. "If I want that is."

"Don't you know I'll snitch?"

"You won't." She replied smartly. "You're too chicken."

He hung up and Grace laughed hard at his pathetic attempt. She wiped a tear from her eye and shook her head. "He's so funny. I love him."

She walked back into the kitchen and sat at the table while her dad read from a cookbook. "So how was your day?" She asked.

"Long, hard, and tiring." He said exhausted.

"Did anything exciting happen?"

"No, not really." He said. "Nothing ever happens besides the occasional misprint.

"Oh." She bit her lip thinking of another question. "Um, what are you making?"

"Homemade cornbread." He responded. Grace's phone buzzed and it was Jerome telling her to come outside.

"I'm gonna step outside for a minute." She said stopping by the mirror to check her appearance. "Be right back."

She walked outside and Jerome was leaning against his car. Grace walked up and smiled at him.

"What are you here for?" She asked giving him a hug.

"Hey." He said releasing her. "I came by to see if you was down to take a ride with a nigga?"

"Where?" He shrugged.

"Nowhere in particular." He told her looking into her eyes.

"Oh. I can't. I'm kicking it with my dad." I said sadly.

"So that's a no? You not down?"

"I'm not allowed to leave." She said again.

Persistent Jerome said, "We all break the rules sometimes."

"Jerome I can't go, maybe next time."

"How do you know there will be a next time? It's no telling where this ride might take us, and you wanna stick to the rules." He said mockingly.

"Look bye Jerome. I'm going inside." She said turning around and walking away.

"No kiss?" She glared at him. "Well, doesn't give into peer pressure is a check." He said right before she closed the door. She smiled and started blushing. His last comment made her feel good.