Chapter 64

"Open mine, open mine!" Tony's present was first up and the manager of the diner agreed to allow us to stay for an extra two hours after closing then heading out.

I chuckled at his undeniable enthusiasm, "Alright, and next we'll have story time." Alyssa and a few others bursted in laughter but quickly sobered when he feigned hurt.

The box was average sized wrapped horribly in baby blue gift paper by one could only think was him. I put it up to my ear and shook it gently. The sounds were no indication of what was really in there.

"Doesn't sound explosive," I joked. He rolled his eyes trying to rub off a smile.

When curiosity ate away, my hands responded and I ripped away the paper accordingly until a cardboard box appeared. So I tore away the tape sealing the top and was blown away by nostalgia.

"No way," my eyes enlarged probably by a fraction.

"What kind of best friend would I be if I didn't ese?" His golden eyes sparked knowingly.

There, I saw those same Marvel comics him and I would stare at all day at the book store growing up. God knows we couldn't afford it and our families were never aware. It had been a whole stack protected with plastic. The guy who had owned them never had any intent to sell though was up for offers.

My eyes started to burn again and I blinked back the memories that'll forever be imprinted in my mind. We may not have the same blood running through our veins but Antonio Alvarez would forever be a brother to me.

"Thanks man, this, I don't know what to say." The very fact that he remembered and tracked this down rendered me speechless.

"It's nothin'. The other day I prowled around like usual out of boredom thinking of what to get you, and the new Marvel movie coming out this spring jogged my memory in a way."

My cheeks started to hurt from that point on that night from smiling so much. The twins were generous enough to get me a pair of sneakers I had seen in Foot Locker at one point.

"So that party you threw me last night...?"

Daniel smirked, "It was a ploy to kill any suspicions and an excuse to throw one obviously."

Nonna and Gramps were outside conversing as he was smoking a cigar and her arms folded while batting away the smoke. So they didn't hear about what us teens, er, technically with one adult, were talking about.

"Nice. So I'm guessing your payment to host one was never received."

I was referring to the time when I told Dean to create a plan for Alyssa and Tony to recuperate their dysfunctional relationship.

"Actually," Alyssa butted in after coming back from the bathroom. Tony was digging out a piece of cake paying no attention to what was going on.

"Tony and I have agreed to spending some time apart." He looked up at her for the first time that evening burdened. His original smile faltered, and even though they both seemed fine, I knew something was off.

"Yeah," he agreed while snagging the last slice. "The twins did what they could. We just both needed a breather after the thirtieth or so time." Laughing almost dryly to himself. Alyssa's eyes flickered irritably at him. I figured maybe a little pep talk to the two wasn't what they needed after all. A more deep rooted problem only they could solve.

Alyssa had gifted me a pair of name brand socks and a visor given she didn't know me that well. I understood, and Marcus kind've went the same route with a basketball encouraging me to swing by the court some time. He had to leave early to meet up with London.