Chapter 48

We arrived at Mick's house right on time which was new for me. His two story yellow house, glowed with liveliness. Sounds were heard before we even entered into his driveway, cheers, laughing, conversations.

Willow went rigid seeing so many people. There were other construction workers with their wives. Some young, some old, majority of them were either near the grill or talking to Mick. No one paid us any attention until the tires of the honda met the gravel.

People threw curious glances toward us. Smells of grilled hotdogs and burgers wafted into our vehicle which made my mouth water. Lanterns were lit here and there, the sun was slowy starting to hide beneath the clouds and fade.

Willow went to open her door but I seized the movement. "No, allow me." And just like the perfect gentleman, I shut the car off, went over to her side and opened the passenger side door. Only that time she was expecting it.

Her eyes shot to our surroundings in curiosity and anxiety. I could tell because of how skiddish she got when we neared the group of unfamiliar people. Fingernails were felt on my back and I realized it was Willow trying to catch my undivided attention.

I looked down at her concerned. "What is it?"

No one noticed us yet given we were on the other side of the Honda barely out of sight. "I know it's dumb. Especially bringing it up now, but I'm not comfortable with meeting people I don't know. It's hard to explain, really. And I know it's a lot to ask but can I please stick with you til' I am?"

Authenticity was evident in her nervous tone. She was clearly not putting up some front and it made me backtrack on whether or not I really should have brought her.

"Alright," I wanted her to avoid skrinking away from others. To see how bright and easy-going Willow was when she wasn't overthinking so much. The one I saw when we were merely discussing Marvel superheroes.

She nodded and followed fairly close behind me. Resembling a small child around adults. It simultaneously annoyed and amused me. However it filled me with pride that she trusted me enough to say something.

"Ace!" Tony said enthusiastically. His eyes were filled with relief and contentment knowing I had made it.

I directed my focus to him, "What's up man?" We greeted eachother the way we always did with an average street handshake.

"Glad you made it. I wanted to believe you weren't going to chicken out on me. Atleast that's what Alyssa had me understand." I felt Willow stiffen at her name but chose to ignore it.

"No deck of cards is the same without an Ace of Spades," I joked, in a false New Jersey accent.

He chuckled then noticed the girl behind, "I take it this is your lady friend," he smiled kindly down at her.

His hand reached out for her to shake, "Antonio Alvarez."

She returned the gesture, "Willow Andrews." Tony's ears perked up at the name and his face flashed with recognition but it was masked quickly.

"Nice to meet-"

He never finished when Mick suddenly appeared, "Tony, Ace!" He was overjoyed. Not just at seeing us but the occassion also. Hell, I'd be too if my paycheck and position were bumped up, given if I had a damn job.

His face was clean shaven outlining the barely there double chin he sported. In a casual polo shirt and jeans, Miguel cleaned up nice and was the epitome of pure happiness.