Chapter 36

Getting back to the apartment went by in a blur. Leo didn't say much, just dropping a few questions here and there on how my visit went and when he would see my 'girlfriend' again.

I tried resisiting the urge to check on Willow. But when my eyes noticed a van was nowhere to be seen (meaning Lydia wasn't there), I was a goner.

Hating to admit it, but I actually was a little worn out. With planning Tony's date and all. Hopefully he'd remember their anniversary next time.

Cool November air wisped by adding a chill down my spine. I then realized my birthday was just around the corner.

Every year Nonna would ask what I wanted to which I never specified. She would try to get something out of me, but to no avail a response from me was never given. Her always being there for me and never giving up on a parentless delinquent such as myself no matter how much I worried her, simply set the bar enough in terms of a 'present.'

Before I realized it, Willow's door stood right in front of me. Faintly, I heard the sounds of a child happily laughing behind it.

I knocked before stopping myself. Light footsteps padded closer to the door. Until it opened only a tad when a small boy, looking to be around seven poked his little head out with large blue eyes. A mass of curly black hair covered his head while in Thor footie pajamas. It'd be a crime to call this kid anything but adorable.

"Yes," he said drawing out 'yes' to state my reason for intruding.

"I would like to speak to queen Willow if that is okay with you sir." I bowed my head just a smidge in an attempt to charm my way in.

Before he could answer, a sweet, familiar voice chimed in, "Ryan how many times have I told you not to answer the door for stra-...."

Willow immediately cut herself off when her eyes found mine. Seeing that the small child opened the door even more then.

"Ace?" She shivered when a cold gust of wind flew by, "Come in, come in."

Just then, I took note of how slightly hoarse her voice was. She sounded close to losing it.

I walked in with ease, enjoying the warm air coming from their apartment.
The little boy closed the door quickly not liking the cold air either, "He said he wanted to talk to queen Will-ow." He said it loud and proud as if he were in the actual presence of royalty.

Red crept up her neck in a light blush, "Thank you Ry, how about you play with your hotwheels in the back while the queen talks about grownup stuff."

He giggled, "Okay. When you're done will you tell me," Ryan pointed at me, "Who this big person is then show me your castle?!"

"I'd be happy to munchkin," she smiled kindly at him. While bending down to mess with his thick hair. "But you should also know the giant's name is Ace," she said slowly while looking in my direction; blushing still.

Ryan peered up at me in wonder. It was strange at my height to see someone exceptionally smaller and having to crane my neck just to look. Actually making me feel like a giant. Or in this case the large elaphant in the room.

"Are you from Jack and The Bean Stalk mister?"

Willow cut in before I could reply with 'maybe.' "Okay Ryan off to the back you go," the petite laughed nervously thinking it had offended me which it didn't. She discreetly winced when attempting to swallow and clear her throat.