Chapter 29

My fists clenched at their sides, as I was beyond infuriated and felt like the grinding of my teeth become painful.

Nonna turned to me with utter shock written on her face, "Did this happen while you were both out?"

I looked toward Willow and could read the begging, imploring me not to tell a single thing.

Pretending like she had just cracked the code, I rubbed the back of my neck sighing, "It was a hit and run scenario."

"Care to explain....?" Nonna said drawing out every syllable carefully.

"When you left, I headed out to see Willow... her aunt told me she was at a friend's house. I asked her where and she told me the address."

Nonna nodded for me to continue.

"Well when I did get there, since it was walking distance, I heard a cry. I went toward it and found Willow holding her shin. She said someone.... attempted to mug her and since she didn't have any money at the time, the person... you know."

Will power was what it took not to seethe the words. Lydia did the awful act probably because of some booze in her system.

"Oh honey, I'm so very sorry this happened to you. Is there anywhere else you're hurt at?"

Each word coming out gentle, Nonna appeared pained still in slight shock.

I was too. Willow's leg almost completely covered in purple, blue, and yellow bruises. Swollen with marks and red lines all over. Even from afar it looked bad, making it very sore on the eyes.

At that point, Willow had barely there tears, "No," she looked down, "I managed to get away before anything else was done."

A surge of guilt pulsed through me along with discomforting thoughts. I should've been there. I should've protected her. She shouldn't have had to fight alone.

Quickly, I left the nonsense coming from my brain.

"We have to do something about this," Nonna said with determination.

"It was too dark. I have no recollection of what the person's face looked like," Willow responded hopelessly.

"We need to inform your aunt then!" All of a sudden Nonna was up in a hurry, not liking the fact she hadn't thought of it sooner.

I stepped in, seeing how that would be a serious problem, "It's no use, clearly Willow doesn't know who did it. I think it's best we leave the niece to tell her aunt instead of you; a woman she's never met before."

She still sat, deep in her thoughts, "I suppose you're right. I'll try to do the best I can with your leg and get you home as quickly and safely as possible."

Once again I rushed out, "She already figured Willow would spend the night, since she was on the way to a friend's house, her aunt went out of town." Internally I cringed at my foolish, avoidable statement.

"Well I guess we'll set up sleeping arrangements for tonight. I still don't like this 'she doesn't need to know' excuse. But since she's out of town, it'd be best to call her about it tomorrow."

We carried on a conversation as though the victim of it all wasn't in the room. However, deep brown eyes told me to continue with the act for the sake of her. I didn't like to lie to my grandmother, only this situation called for it.

I didn't notice before but Nonna had ointments and bandages on the table. Realizing her methods always worked from when I was a kid, I did not question it.

"Ace while I do this, can you please heat up the leftovers of garlic chicken for us. I'm sure you both are hungry."

Nodding eagerly, I then hurried to the kitchen wincing when light sounds of pain escaped Willow's lips.