Chapter 22

After leaving the dreaded school, Nonna and I headed for home. She noticed my 'on edge' persona.

"Don't worry Ace, everything will be fine I'm sure," her voice very soothing.

I lied, "It's not that, I'm just stressed over how much work I've probably missed." Rubbing the back of my neck to ease the tension, Nonna gave some more reassuring words.

"No need to be bothered over that, I contacted the school and requested a student to help you out." Corners of her mouth turned up content, while I almost pissed my pants.

Looking over, "You-you what?"

"The school was nice enough to give you a tutor. Since one of your electives is study hall, she'll be helping you catch up then. Sometimes after school too."

My eyes widened, "She? What the hell Nonna, I don't need a damn tutor!"

She vigorously pulled the car over, Nonna immediately put the honda in park and faced me. Eyes filled with anger, "Now you listen to me. Your counselor was kind enough to help you out with a student that'll attend to every educational need you have. I don't want to hear any whining or complaining either. What's done is done....and stop that cussing!"

Putting my head in both hands groaning, she said one more thing that blew me straight out the water. "Luckily, I recommended someone we both know and get along well with....Willow."

My heart stopped and breath caught right in my throat. "Please tell me your joking."

She put her hand on my shoulder while I felt like fainting. "If it was a joke, I would've already been laughing. Besides, you seem comfortable with her and she's a very sweet girl. A good influence at that too." Nonna began driving again, as well as driving me crazy.

"It's not like she didn't offer to help you Ace."

There it was. The same butterflies that erupted in my stomach and had the beats in my chest go a little faster.

Willow volunteered?

Betraying thoughts flooded my mind.

How often would I see her? Will she be happy to see me? Am I going to be able to focus with her around? If I screw up, will she notice? Did she want this?

Questions wouldn't stop, deep down I knew it'd be impossible to pay any attention to anything with her around.

Losing control and kissing her was not an option. The more I did the further away I got from myself.

Accidentally muttering, "I need a joint."

Nonna's voice raised looking directly at me in astonishment, "What did you say?"

Stuttering like an idiot, "I-I said I need to stretch my joints."

Under her breath, "You'll be fine."

Getting home went by in a blur. Everything I did, she would pop up in my mind on how I'd handle all of it.

Sitting on the edge of the bed it was pretty clear the vow I had made would be broken whether I liked or not. For some reason all of it pushed me over the edge. Between school, Nonna, the flashbacks, and Willow the time called for one thing.