Alternate Ending

In this ending the car accident never happened.

------

"Auggie! Come here, I need to brush your curls for school." Riley said, chasing after the little kid.

"No! I don't wanna go back to school and when you brush my curls it hurts." He shouted back. "Maya!"

Auggie ran into Maya and raised his hands up. Maya picked him up and placed him on her hip. "What's wrong, Auggie?

"Riley is trying to make me go to school." He complained, placing his head into the crook of Maya's neck. "Honey, you have to go to school."

"But school is boring! I wanna stay home with you and Riley."

"Please Auggie?" Maya begged. He shook his head, causing his curls to go everywhere. "Ok, let's back a deal."

Auggie lifted up his head and replied, "I'm listening."

Maya laughed and gave him a kiss on his cheek. The boy was like a son to her. She loved him dearly and so did Riley. "If you go to school today....I'll get you ice cream."

"Really! All I have to do is go to school to get ice cream? Why haven't I been told this sooner!"

Maya laughed and placed him gently back on the floor. "Come on, Riley. It's time for you to brush my curls for school. I don't know why you've been taking so long!" Auggie joked and took the brush from Riley.

"Go in your room. I'll be there in a minute." Auggie nodded and went off to his room.

"Wow, your great with kids." Riley said to Maya. "It's a lot of work, really. I couldn't do it by myself."

"I know, without me you would be a lost cause with a kid."

"Like you would have a better time raising a kid." Riley said, rolling her eyes.

"Better than you, obviously."

Riley gasped and faked a hurt expression, "Rude. I don't know why I put up with you." Maya wrapped an arm around Riley's waist and pulled her closer. "I know why. Cause you love me."

"I do." Riley said, giving Maya a quick kiss on the lips.

-------

"You don't deserve this ice cream, Auggie." Riley said playfully, holding the ice cream out of Auggie's reach. "What! No, Riley please." He said trying to reach the ice cream. The little guy stood on his toes trying to reach the ice cream, but Riley was way taller than him.

"Nope, imma eat all of this and not give you any."

"You wouldn't dare."

"Oh really?" She said then gave the ice cream a lick.

"You monster!"

Riley laughed and handed the ice cream to Auggie finally. "There you go, even though you don't deserve it."

"I went to school! I deserve it."

"No you don't."

"Do to!"

"No."

"Do to!"

"Nope."

"Do-" "Guys stop fighting!" Maya said rolling her eyes at the childishness of Riley. "You guys really are brother and sister."

"Was there ever a doubt in your mind that we weren't?"

"Actually..nope." Maya said with a shrug. They all sat down at a table but Auggie was in Maya's lap. He always was around Maya. She really treated him like her own son. "How's selling your art going?"

"Really good. I sold one piece for 346 dollars."

"Really? Your earning more than you were as a teacher and this is so much more better than even being an art teacher, no?"

"Yup. Really rolling in the big bucks and how's work for you?"

"Oh well you would never believe that working as a waitress in one of the fanciest restaurants in New York would get paid a lot not only for working but for the people leaving tips."

"Wow so shocking." Maya said, rolling her eyes.

"At least we finally got our life back on track." Maya said, taking Riley's hand and lacing their fingers together.

"Well yeah...but I've been thinking. After the wedding and all...maybe we can adopt a baby? I dunno."

"Well...Auggie has to decide on that. Do you want a little brother or sister Auggie?"

"Of course! I always wanted to have a sibling younger than me since Riley was the oldest."

Riley's eyes seemed to lighten up with joy as she looked at Maya. "Oh great! I've been thinking about it for so long and even with Auggie I wanted a bigger family you know?"

"I understand. I am Auggie's favorite after all...."

"You are not."

"I'm so."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"I love you."

Riley smiled and squeezed Maya's hand. "I love you too."

----

Cute.