Forest

M A Y A

I watched Riley closely was she was checking over some papers I gave her. To lessen some of the work load for me.

She hasn't said any word to me this whole time. It kinda hurts because I thought that we actually had a friendship forming. Of course if anyone knew we were friends they would report it though.

I rested my head onto the desk that was in front of me and sighed. This sucks. Riley's eyes look up and she sighed too. "We should go out with some of my friends. I was gonna go somewhere with them today but I had to stay with you."

"Where is this exactly?"

"You'll see."

-----

Riley is place is disgusting and crawling with bugs. Where are your friends?

"You really think they would have a positive reaction to me hanging out with a teacher? Yeah that's what I thought."

She hopped on this log and crossed the river that was in front of us.

"I think I'll pass. Maybe I should just go home and drink some coffee! You in?" I asked hopefully.

"No. Now give me your hand." She held out her hand and I took it hesitantly. I got on the log and tried to balance. I was almost over the small bridge but of course I lost my balance and fell in pulling Riley in along with me.

She screamed and she went in head first into the river.

"Sorry!" I said as she resurfaced. "Well so much for our plans."

"Sorry! Maybe we could just hang out in this river?" I suggested.

"This river is freezing and I'm so cold. I need to get out and go home."

"Your leaving?" I asked sadly.

"Duh you already fucked everything up. I knew this relationship was getting too weird! Your a teacher and I'm a student. I only was suppose to see you in class that's it and I would appreciate if you would stop being weird. Don't even try to make friends with me."

She pulled up herself out of the river and started walking away. My heart felt like it shattered into a million pieces. I shared my childhood with her, my troubling childhood. Opened up to her. Even helped her improve in English and this is how she repays me.

I crawled out of the river and pulled my shirt off. It was soaking wet and really making me uncomfortable. I tried to wring out all of the water but of course that didn't work. I sighed in defeat and pulled back on the shirt.

I was walking through out the forest for 15 minutes until I realized I was lost.

"Riley!'' I called out. No reply.

"Riley! Help I'm lost!"

"Ri-"I cut myself off by screaming when someone came up behind me and touched me. I turned around and saw it was just Riley.

"You were here the whole time!"

"Duh, I knew you probably would get lost so I waited."

Riley guided me through the forest until I reached my car. I hopped in and Riley came in with me. Hmm Riley didn't just leave me because I would get lost. She came back when she realized her truck wasn't here and she had no transportation to home.

"This still doesn't mean we're fine now. I still hate you."

The color left my face as she said that.

Way to make people feel like utter dirt after they thought they were your friend. Now I know the true definition of Riley Matthews.

Toxic.