Chapter 55

The ED was somewhat tense with Zoe being back and Max still working in the ED. Jacob sighed as he strolled past the nurses station, Connie raised her head from the file. He smiled and stepped back, he walked behind her and snaked his arms around her still petite figure. She smiled and continued to read the file, "Everything okay Muscles?" He hummed "Just this place is really down today... like I don't care that Zoe and Max are back working in the same department, why should that effect everyone's mood?" She chuckled, "Or maybe it's just everyone is tired and  doesn't want to be here." "Thats just you." He laughed before gently lifting her making her squeele. He laughed and placed her back down, she spun on her heel and slapped his chest before kissing him.

"Noah, for his name?" Jacob looked as they walked to a cubical, "I like it." She smiled, "You pick his middle name." He smiled, Connie nodded before walking into the cubical. He followed behind her, Connie did her usual introduction to the teen girl. The girl looked blankly, "Well can you like hurry up." Connie bit her lip, "Look, we are very busy-" "That's what is seemed like seconds ago." She smiled. "Staff Nurse Masters, can we get bloods?" Connie smiled, he nodded "This one's going to be a pain." He whispered.

Connie came out the cubical, "Zoe, can you take over please." She sighed, "Yeah sure, are you okay?" "Yeah I just don't want to lose it." Zoe nodded with a smile. "Thank you." Connie smiled. Zoe walked over to the cubical, Connie scanned the room for Charlie. She ended up at his and Jacobs office, Duffy was sat in there along with Charlie. "Charlie can I- Oh sorry, I didn't see you were busy." She smiled, "No we aren't, Just us old folk need somewhere to rest." Duffy laughed and left.

Connie sat down on Jacobs chair, "What did you want?" Charlie smiled, "I'm losing it Charlie." She sighed, he lost his smile which Connie noticed. "Every loud noise and I think it's him, anyone shouts and I jump... I'm sick and tired of fighting with myself just to be happy. I don't want to, I just want to be how I was before he came back, I just want to be happy without a fight. Soon the girls are going to see somethings wrong and that is one thing I don't want... I just want to get better Charlie and I don't want to worry Jacob, that's all he has seemed to do lately." Charlie came and encased her into a tight hug as she cried, "Look, you need to talk to Jacob too. Telling me this is all well and good but, he deserves to know. He wants you happy, that makes him happy and then you have two happy girls you know, counseling is a great thing but, I don't want you going sneaking off behind his back... like you said you need to get better so do that but do it better." Connie nodded as she stopped crying slightly. "Look, I'll give you some space in here... tell Jacob in ten minutes?" He smiled, "Thank you." "Don't worry about it." He smiled before he left her.

Connie sighed as she sat quietly in the room, she pulled Jacob's jacket of the back of his chair and pulled it over her slim frame. She grabbed a picture he had of the four of them, before sitting back in the chair. She gently traced their outline, "Daddy will need a new one of these." She smiled resting a hand on her bump, "You are definitely the easiest pregnancy, your sisters were pains... not that that's changed" She laughed and placed the picture back, she sighed "Am I being stupid?... don't answer that, I already know the answer. I just don't like worrying daddy he already does so much." She paused as she heard his voice as he spoke to Noel. She lifted her head to the door as the handle pushed down.

He looked at her smiling not able to hide it as he looked at her in his jacket, she went to speak "Charlie has told me, Con... you should have told me." He sighed, "I know but you already do so much-" "I'm your partner, it's what happens Connie we look out for eachother." He came over and lifted her up, he took a seat before placing her on his lap. "I want you to do what's best for you." Jacob smiled, "I know." She smiled as she gently kissed his cheek, "You are so beautiful and the best thing that ever happened to me, all I want is for you to be happy whatever that takes." She smiled and rested her head on his shoulder he smiled and kissed the top of her head. "I love you." She whispered, almost muted, "I love you more." He whispered back.

Duffy walked in thinking Charlie was still there, "Charlie have I left a file- Oh God sorry." She blushed, "It's okay, a file? I think I seen one in his desk." Connie smiled. Duffy nodded and grabbed it before thanking her and leaving. "Actually, while you are here..." "What?" She looked, "Could you help me with this email?" He smiled, she nodded and sat up.

The pair went back to work for their remaining hours, both barely passing. "Connie, we need a meeting next week with the board about Maternity leave and all." Zoe smiled, Connie nodded "Yeah course." Both women smiled, "How did the 'talk' go?" "Good... I suppose, could have been a lot worse." She smiled, "You will become friends again, I'm sure." Connie smiled before being called to cubicals.

--------

They drive home was pretty quiet, the music played in the background. Connie's focus was outside the window, while she thought. By the time they arrived home the girls were fast asleep in bed. Connie slumped down into the couch, Jacob went and boiled the kettle. He glanced at her through the open door, he sighed watching as her eyes flicked. Without waring he picked her up, she went to slap him but realised it was Jacob "Sorry." She looked at him "Don't be sweetcheeks." He smiled, carrying her up "Have you thought about what we need to do to make you better?" "Counselling... I prefer you saying we." She smiled "It's always going to be a we sweetcheeks." She smiled and kissed him "Film?" He smiled, "Maybe pizza?" He added, she nodded with a smile "As long as you hide the proof and Sid can join." He laughed and kissed her.