32 | Not Your Typical Shrek

Start from the beginning

In a line, they ran. The Ogre was getting closer, which led Snow to tell everyone to split up. Mulan took the princess named Aurora while Snow completely bolted. Indiana grabbed the hopeless and confused Emma's wrist and pulled her away. This backfired when Emma tripped over something and fell onto the ground, pulling Indiana down with her.

"Stupid, stupid girl," Indiana muttered. It was barely audible over the sound of the Ogre growling. Within seconds, it appeared right in front of the two girls. Emma pulled out her gun, but before she could pull the trigger, the Ogre smacked it right out of her hand.

Crushing in the gun while it growled, Indiana cringed as its breath filled Emma's and her nostrils. She reached down to grab her dagger and got ready to chuck it into the Ogre's eye. However, the Ogre turned around, for Snow had called out to it.

Indiana wanted to tell Snow to run, for she wasn't sure if Snow still had accurate aim. Still, the woman nocked an arrow in her bow and shot it at the Ogre. It fell down in seconds, dead. As Snow pulled the arrow out of its eye with a grunt, Emma and Indiana made their way over to her.

"You have to shoot them in the eye," Snow told her daughter, who was in pure awe.

"When was the last time you shot an arrow?" Emma breathlessly asked, full of shock over what happened.

Snow shrugged. "28 years ago. Guess it's like riding a bike."

"Yeah, but how did you know you could hit that?" Emma continued to question.

"I didn't," Snow answered. She looked back at her daughter, then at Indiana. "My aim's good, but it's not as good as her's." Indiana arrogantly grinned at the sound of that while speaking.

"That thing," Indiana motioned to the gun, "isn't going to work here. I don't know much about parents, but next time, listen to your mother."

➖➖➖

Snow White judiciously shoved open one of the innumerable doors in the castle that she grew up in. It made a clanking and creaking noise as she released the doorknob. The castle looked as though it had gone through hell and back. It was practically ripped apart. It was just like Indiana and her friends had left it when Regina cast the curse.

Taking little steps in the direction of the scorched wardrobe, Emma positioned her hand on it. She stared at it in surprise as she recognized it from Henry's book. Emma couldn't believe that she was standing in the castle that she was supposed to grow up in. Mulan and Aurora had stepped out to stand watch, leaving the trio alone. Emma walked over to the large windows, staring out at the broken kingdom.

"I never thought I'd see this place again," Snow White confessed, looking around. "This room... it was your nursery."

Emma walked toward her mother. "I... lived here?" Emma asked in surprise.

"You never even got to spend a night," Indiana mentioned, staring at a small, worn out teddy bear. It was originally supposed to be her gift for baby Emma. It was one of the few things Indiana didn't steal. "I was supposed to teach you how to protect yourself here."

Snow bitterly laughed at this. "This is the life I wanted you to have. I was going to teach you how to walk in here, how to talk, how to dress for your first ball..." Snow trailed off gloomily. "You never got to do any of it. We never got to be a family."

"We have a family—in Storybrooke," Emma reminded her mother. "And right now, they need us to get back there." She slipped her leather jacket back on that she had previously taken off. "So how do we get this to work? Where's the on switch?"

Indiana snorted while Snow pulled open the wardrobe's doors. "It's not as simple as it looks," Indiana revealed. "Maybe someone back at the Haven has access to enough magic to make it work again."