19 | I Don't Like Apples

Start from the beginning

"The Dark One? To retrieve something? What is it?" Frankie quizzed, firing one question after another with interest hinted in the tone of his voice.

"It's called Pandora's Box. He didn't say why he needed it, and I have no idea what it even is... but what I do know is that if I do this for him, then he'll tell me... the truth," Indiana added. Before the nosy boy that was Frankie could wonder what she meant, Indiana continued. "When I was a year old, my father abandoned me. He dumped me for my aunt to take care of. She raised me until she was murdered when I was 12. She... She died right in front of me. I don't think I'll ever forget that day..."

Indiana paused when the memory of the Shadow ripping Lucy's shadow from her own body played in her mind. Feeling a tear dash down her face, Indiana hurriedly wiped it away before continuing.

"She died before she could tell me why my father abandoned me. Ever since, I've been trying to discover the truth... and obviously failing."

Frankie was quiet. "I'm so sorry," he apologized.

She shrugged. "What can you do?" she bitterly wondered. "That's not all of it though. Moments before my aunt died, my village turned on me. They created some kind of rumor that I was related to some cold-blooded pirate called Killian Jones, who by the way, I've never met. He's the reason someone in my village died, along with my aunt. He's the reason I've been forced to become the person I am." Indiana balled her hands into a fist. "I'm going to get my revenge on him. I won't let him get away with this... with ruining my life. I'll rip his throat out with my own teeth if I have to... whatever it takes to get him to feel the same pain I did... I'll be his worst nightmare."

Frankie could practically feel the dark aura gathering around her body as she spoke of Killian Jones. He shivered, not wanting to see her when she was truly and genuinely furious. Attempting to lighten the mood, Frankie smiled at her again. "Aren't you a ball of sunshine?" he sarcastically asked.

Her dark aura faded away as Indiana returned the smile with a giggle. With that being said, Indiana was so focused on her conversation with the boy that she almost didn't hear the footsteps emerging from the left of her. Indiana glanced over, seeing one of the Lost Boys. He had blond hair and a long scar on his face. Indiana recognized him to be Peter Pan's righthand man.

The boy scoffed. "Pan mentioned you had a habit of talking to yourself, but I didn't think he was serious," the boy stated in amusement. Indiana shot a glare at him. She turned to face Frankie, but he was gone. Again. "Come on. Pan's waiting for you and he doesn't like being kept waiting."

Rolling her eyes, Indiana got up nonetheless. It wasn't as though she had anything better to do. "He couldn't have just... magic'ed me over?" Indiana wondered, beginning to follow him. He didn't respond, only shaking his head at her. "So what can I call you?" The boy remained quiet. "Alright. I get it. Silent treatment."

The walk was a lot longer than Indiana thought. She didn't think that she and Peter had walked so far originally, but she was proven wrong.

"Can I ask you something?" Indiana wondered after a while. "Has Peter always been... like that?"

The boy stopped walking. He turned to face her. "He has a lot of baggage. Things in his life led him up to be the way that he is, kind of like you, I assume," he answered. With that, he turned and kept walking.

Before Indiana could wonder what he meant, they had arrived at the campsite. Just as the boy had said, Peter Pan was waiting along with the Lost Boys. Indiana couldn't help but wonder what his relationship was with his little minions. Did they even like Peter, or were they so scared of him that they only pretended to worship him? Indiana wasn't sure what to think. All of these boys had the same look in their eyes. They looked scared and lost. They all had some kind of baggage that helped shaped them into the people they were. Indiana wasn't sure if the thought of that scared her or not.

Peter Pan turned to face her before tossing a shiny, red apple at her. "Catch."

Catching it with speed and ease, Indiana looked down at it in confusion. "I don't like apples," she told him before throwing it back in his direction.

This was a lie. Indiana loved apples. In fact, she could probably eat them all day. They were one of her favorite fruits, after all. However, since it was a fruit that came from Peter Pan, Indiana was skeptical. For all she knew, he put some kind of sleeping curse on it, or something of the sorts.

The boy made a face at her. "Who doesn't like apples?"

"Me," Indiana answered with a blank look on her face. "I literally just said that. Wow, Peter, I'm starting to think that you're deaf."

Ignoring her comment, Peter replied with, "How would you feel about playing another game?" He tossed the apple in his hands to the boy who escorted Indiana before walking over to her, magically creating a crossbow in his hands. "Shoot it."

Blinking twice, Indiana stared at him in surprise. "You want me to use this... thing?" Indiana repeated in surprise.

He smirked at her. "Perhaps it's you're the one that's deaf," he retorted sassily. "All you have to do is shoot it at my friend, Felix." He motioned to Felix, who balanced the apple on his head.

"Maybe you're just unaware, but I don't do archery. I use a whip and a dagger," Indiana matter-of-factly stated. "And didn't we already have this talk? I don't hurt people without a good reason."

"I didn't say you had to hurt him, darling," Peter corrected. "I said all you have to do it shoot it at him."

Indiana stared at the crossbow in his hands. "And what exactly do you get out of this?" she queried.

He shrugged. "It's just a game."

'Yeah, well you can shove this game up your butt,' Indiana thought to herself while taking the crossbow from his hands. She warily raised it up, aiming for the apple on his head while Peter took a bite out of the second apple, which was in his hands. That was when an idea popped into her head.

Holding her finger over the trigger, Indiana furrowed her eyebrows together slightly. Then, with incredible speed, Indiana turned the crossbow and shot the arrow at the apple in Peter's hands. It flew out of his grip, landing against the tree as the arrow lodged itself into the dark tree bark. Applause erupted around her, confusing Indiana greatly.

"Let me guess, you were expecting me to do that, too?" Indiana asked in annoyance. Peter shook his head, not wiping away the stupid smirk on his face that seemed to always be tattooed on.

"Nope. That was a first," he commented. "Nice job, Indiana."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "You can shove your games up your butt," she snapped before walking over to the tree and pulling out the apple and arrow. She took a bite out of the apple. "And for the record, I love apples."

➖➖➖

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

we're starting to establish indiana and peter's relationship now! indiana absolutely despises peter, whereas peter is almost intrigued by her. after all, she did fall out of a portal from the sky.

however, while indiana dislikes peter, she's going to be trying her best to not form an opinion on him. remember, indiana's here for a mission and that's that. she doesn't want any lingering feelings about peter.

but something tells me that she's not getting out of this without feeling something for him. i mean, this is a peter pan fic haha.