Afire Love

~-T-~

Pain.

Anger.

Hurt.

Blind.

Hopeless.

Gone.

I can still feel the shaking of the ground mimicking my heart as the walls met their cue and started to cut us off from the twisted labyrinth lurking inside. Time was playing a deceitful trick as it felt like it was moving painfully slow, but once disaster struck, time was moving too fast for me to comprehend.

My head shook slowly back and forth, refusing to believe what was happening in front of me. The silence was deafening once the doors locked up for the night. No one dared to say a word. They were either too scared to say or word or just didn't even know what to say. I surely didn't. There were no words that could suffice to describe the utter, excruciating pain shattering my heart into more pieces than possible to place back together.

The pain mutated into anger as a hand rested on my shoulder, "I'm sorry, Gally." Newt's words were aimed to comfort, but comfort wouldn't turn back time. Comfort wouldn't bring her back. Anger gave way into rage as I shook his hand off of my shoulder, turning around and gripping Newt's shirt in my fists. My hands were shaking: quivering with the pain and hurt radiating inside of me.

Tears were masking my vision as I met Newt's eyes. His eyes held nothing but worry while my eyes displayed nothing but anger. He didn't deserve my wrath, but my mind wasn't adding up the facts that beating on Newt would change things.

The hands wrapped around his shirt loosened and and flattened themselves against his chest and he was shoved to the floor before I realized that I was the culprit in doing so. My fists pounded the unworthy victim as the other boys scrambled to pull me off of him. My brain was screaming at me to stop, but my heart urged me on as I remembered he was one of the few who had voted her in as a runner.

I can still remember the ever present fear that seemed to live in my chest since she was anointed as a runner. It sill lived inside me, buried deep within. It kept me up at night, worrying that she would go in the maze one day and wouldn't make it back out in time.

I remember how her eyes lit up as she let out a small chuckle, "Slim it, Gally. I'll make it back. I always do." But she didn't and that was what turned my bright days into ones filled with dark, deceiving shadows.

She was the light in my life. The sun was just what separated night from day. She...she was what separated the good days from the bad. She was my source of happiness in a place where true happiness is seldom found and is kept under lock and key. She broke down the walls that I had spent years building up. Each day that I live without her, another brick is added back to my newly built walls.

I can remember the guilt that washed over me as the boys finally successfully pulled me off of Newt. Blood trickled down from his lips and a deep cut that sliced through his eyebrow. The pain ripping up my chest only worsened as he had made no move to fight me back. He took each and every punch and let me take out my anger on him because he knew that there was something that I had to take it out on and he let that be himself.

Once they pulled us apart, I had no will to do anything else. It was like the pain simmered from anger to a deep dwelling sadness that buried itself deep within me, always there below the surface. My body grew numb as I stared up at the walls that held the hell that stole her away from me.

Every morning I sat down at the entrance of the walls because that was the last place that I had seen her. It was like my last memory of her was imprinted into the ground. I've heard the other boys' theories that they think I sit out there every morning in hope that one day she'll be waiting at the entrance to return to the Glade. To return to me. Maybe that part was true and I didn't want to admit it. It was that small sliver of hope that I held on to even though it felt like it was stabbing me in the back every morning that she didn't return.

Shaky hands ran through my hair as my thoughts strayed to her once again. My hands moved to run down my face and I didn't have to say anything to notify the other gladers that I was thinking of her. Newt was going around giving a tour to another buggin' greenie.

"So it's only boys here? Has there ever been a girl?" I heard the greenie ask, causing my fists to tighten.

Newt paused and I could feel his eyes glance to me, "No, there's never been a girl here."

It felt like my throat was closing; I couldn't breathe. That's what they told the greenies.

I stood up, storming off to where my memories of her always seemed to linger. I stood in front of the walls where they remained open for the last few moments of the day, attempting to captivate those who wandered by, into entering its deadly labyrinth. I could see where everyone's names were scrawled into the wall, but I could more clearly see where her name was crossed off.

My thoughts wondered back to the first morning that she was officially a runner. I didn't want to let her go even though she insisted that she'd be fine. Her lips met mine in a chaste kiss as she was too excited to linger in the Glade any longer than she should.

"Don't go where I can't-" I started and she finished my sentence like she always did.

"Follow. I know, Gally. I promise." She smiled before following Minho into her future captor.

"I told you not to go where I can't follow." I murmured, staring up at the walls as they started to close. "You promised. Look at us now..."