Mending A Slinthead

~-T-~

It's been a few weeks since you've appeared in the maze and some of the guys still didn't really know what to do with you. They were all really awkward at first since none of them knew what to do with a girl. There had always only been guys in the maze.

Either way you had tried your best to comply to their normal standards. Like every guy you've gone through all parts of the maze from the track-hoes to the slicers and the guys must admit you've had some talents and in some parts you just were totally different from what they had expected. You weren't all mushy about the slicing job but you didn't like the stink and you also were a very decent builder for a girl. Besides that you could also cook very well and had a green thumb.

In the end you decided to go to the med-jacks since that was the thing which caught your interest the most even though some days you would help out in the gardens when there was nothing to do for you. But you still weren't satisfied on the inside you yearned to be a runner.

You watched them leave and return every morning and evening. They were brave and you admired them one redhead in particular. You would love to be a runner and see what was beyond the walls but all the boys were really protective of you so they didn't even consider that option even though you were a very decent runner.

Today had been one of those eventless days so all you had been doing was sitting around in the grass in front of the med-jacks hut and rummage through your mind for memories that had been missing since you appeared here. But your mind kept wandering back to a certain friend you made since you've been here.

"(Y/N), we get your med-set we need you." Joe's voice ripped you out of your thoughts suddenly. You didn't even ask you just jumped up from your spot and got a small med-set before sprinting out of the hut and to the shank.

"What happened?" You asked him as you jogged beside him. "Newt hurt himself in the maze and we need to get him out of there before it's getting dark." The boy told you and you sped up a bit. "Where?" You asked as you knew you were quicker at your own. "The north doors." He told you and you sighed as if you didn't know which part of the maze Newt had to discover. "It's two lefts, one right, three lefts and two rights." The boy finally tells me and I smile at him.

"Thank's Joe, I'm off." I yell before picking up my pace even more and sprinting through the door into the maze. My heart was thumping heavily in my chest as I ran through the corridors. Not only was I finally in the maze but also was Newt hurt. He was my best friend in here.

You took the turns Joe told you just to find them. Alby and Minho were next to Newt who was lying unconscious on the floor. You stopped beside them and plopped down opening your small medic-kit. First you examined the wound on the head. There was quite a gash but it didn't seem too deep, nothing that could kill him.

"What happened?" You asked the two guys as you clean and bandage the wound. It would need stitches but that could wait till you were in the med-hut since you were still in the maze and everything had to go quickly here.

"Damn Shank tried to climb the wall but fell off." You heard Minho mutter as you searched for other minor injuries. His foot didn't look quite right and he had a few wounds on his hands and knees too but nothing major.

"Okay, let's get him out of here so I can examine him more closely somewhere safer." You told the two guys who got the red-head to his feet, each slinging an arm around his waist to share his weight. You left the maze in a small jog which didn't seem quite quick enough for you. You wanted to take care of all injuries and make sure Newt is safe as soon as possible.

Finally in the med-hut the guys lay his still unconscious body down on a bed and you instantly threw them out and got to work. First you stitched the wound on his head up and put a clean bandage over it. After that you pulled his shirt off to check for further injuries or broken ribs.

His athletic built chest was littered with big blue and purple bruises. You tried to be gentle as you felt his chest and abdomen for any broken ribs or inner injuries. There seemed to be one cracked or slightly broken rib but nothing that would kill him. So on you went.

Next you checked his not so good looking leg. His ankle was swollen and a big bruise had formed on the skin above. You did the same routine as with his chest feeling that something wasn't right. A bone seemed out of place. Small whimpers and sounds of pain escaped his lips as you dug your fingers into his flesh a little harder to get a better picture of what was actually wrong.

Suddenly he jumped his brown eyes flying open as his body jerked in pain. "Alby, Minho I need you to hold him!" You shouted for the boys and they were inside the room in seconds both holding a still not clear Newt down on the bed as you examined his. You could hear him pant and moan in pain as you touched the sore spot.

"I need you to hold him really still for a sec. Newt, this is gonna bloody hurt." You stated and watched as the two big guys grabbed him tighter before you went back to his leg. "I'm sorry." You whispered under your breath before you pushed the bone back into its place with all your strength drawing a loud cry from the boy you liked so much.

You let your hand wander over the ankle one last time checking that everything was in place again and heard a little whimper from Newt. After the foot was finally alright you bandaged it in a few layers of gauze.

"Good that you shaks, he needs some rest so I recon you come back tomorrow and bring some shukin' flowers with you." You winked at the leader and the runner, practically kicking them out. They just nodded and left with a last squeeze of their friends shoulder and a muttered 'thank you' to you.

Since all major injuries had been treated now you finally went on to clean the small scratches and wounds he had on his hands, knees and elbows putting a plaster on them to keep the germs out. You wouldn't risk Newt getting infected and dying.

"(Y/N)." Newt quietly muttered and reached his hand for you as you were about to empty the bottle of water and rack you had cleaned his skin around the wounds a little with. You had been keeping it cool until then since you needed a clear head to do your work but now all the feelings were overpowering you.

"No (Y/N), Newt! I am shuckin' mad at you jacked slinthead." You swore at him. "What did you think of trying to climb those damn walls? You could have died!" He looked at you with wide eyes sure he knew you could get really angry and weren't shy on telling your opinion but you had never ever snapped at him before.

"Are you even aware of what could have happened?" You scolded but then your voice quieted down. "I can't even imagine seeing you dead and liveless. You can't just do such a thing to me." Tears were starting to run down your cheeks as you mumbled incoherent things. In all the time you had been here you hadn't cried once but thinking of Newt being gone of his body just laying there slack without his usual smile brightening up his warm features just brought up such a panic and pain that you couldn't keep it to yourself.

A warm pair of arms wrapped around you and pulled you into a defined chest while a hand stroked softly over your head and through your hair. "Shh, (Y/N)." You heard him mumble while he cradled you in his arms calming you with his caressing touches. "I'm ok, I'm not gonna leave you."

"You nearly did." You hiccupped as an aftermath of your sobbing just seconds ago. Your words made him sigh and you felt his lips press to your head.

"Good that, no risky things anymore."