The Bet P.t 1

~-M-~

I was sitting in the middle of the Glade, with my back resting against a tree, absently looking at the boys pacing up and down while doing their jobs.

Suddenly, I heard someone laughing and plopping down next to me. I turned my head to see Chuck.

Over the course of these three days in the Glade, he was my only friend. I had only spoken to Alby and Newt, them being the big shots in this place. And although they were nice to me (well, Newt more than Alby, to be honest), Chuck was the only one who I actually talked to.

"What are you laughing at, Chuckie?" I smiled, glad that he was so happy. He already was like a little brother to me, I was very fond of him.

"I scared Gally" He was a little out of breath, so I figured he had run in order to get rid of the builder's anger. "You should have seen his face"

Oh, I would have loved to see that. Gally was a slinthead, he was mean with everyone. But mostly Chuck and me, so he desserved anything that he got.

"He bet against you and was so conceited about it. Probably was not when I jumped at him and he screamt like a girl" Chuck said between fits of laughter.

I smiled alongside him when I actually realized what he had just said. My smile dropped.

"What do you mean 'bet'?" I stared at my friend, completely perplex.

His chubby face turned completely serious suddenly. I read in his expression that he was afraid he said something he shouldn't have.

"Well, Y/N, when they saw a girl arriving in the Glade some of them started to bet."

"But..."

"They were betting on how long it would take you to break down" He quickly and nervously finished, like if would hurt less.

His eyes were fixed in mine, examining my reaction.

"That's why you pranked Gally?" I asked him, trying to sound nonchalant.

"And because it was funny" He softly shrugged.

I grinned at him and playfully shoved him.

"Then let's show those shanks what I'm capable of. Specially that idiot Gally"

He clumsily smiled and that made me laugh.

"If I could, I would have bet on you"

I chuckled, staring at my feet while we both remained quiet. Chuck was still recovering his breath from that run.

As I thought about the bet, something popped into my head, so I broke the silence.

"Do you know who else bet on me? Just out of curiosity..."

"I just remember some. Alby, Gally and Winston against you. Newt, Frypan and Jeff on you"

I pursed my lips trying to hide a smirk. Fry, Jeff and Newt were the only ones that had been kind to the Greenie, and who I tried socializing with. I chose my friends good enough.

"And what the shuck were they betting?"

Chuck laughed when he heard me use correctly the Glader slang.

"No clue. Anything"

We continued to chat for a while, until Frypan announced that lunch was ready, so all the boys rushed to the Kitchen like a stampede. But I stood there, not really hungry.

*

While everyone stuffed their face, I went to the Deadheads to take a walk and sat in the floor for a while, enjoying the quiet.