Never Again

~-T-~

Warning: If you are sensitive with any self-harm or suicidal issues or disturbances, please DO NOT READ THIS CHAPTER

For one of the rare moments you had to yourself, you laid in the grass as you watched the clouds pass overhead. Sometimes, you let your mind wander, wondering what else those clouds saw. You wondered what the rest of the world looked like outside of the little Glade you called home. Sometimes you wished you were a cloud, floating free, not a care in the world.

Sometimes, you wished you were the wind, running off with no limits, going wherever you pleased, moving to the beat of your own drum.

But never ever would you trade your life for escape. No matter how hopeless yours and the rest of the Gladers' mission seemed to get the shuck out of here, you had to hold hope. Everyone looked to you because you were always smiling. You acted like you knew that this would all be over in time and everyone could go to their respective homes. Of course, you knew no better, but others looked to you for it. After all, as a Med-Jack, you already had a caring spirit about you. You could heal in more ways than one so it seemed.

Yet, as hopeful as you were, even you needed a pick me up some days. Your personal beacon of light came in the package of a relatively tall blonde boy with a strong jaw. Newt. When you had trouble keeping things together, he was always there for you. He was your rock.

Awaking you from your reverie, Newt ran by you with Minho in tow. Without saying a word, you hopped up and ran with them. Just before they left for the door, you called out, "Shanks, wait up!"

Minho and Newt turned just before they entered the Maze. You gave them a bright smile, to which Minho gave a smirk and Newt barely returned. You cocked your head slightly at him, but he shook his head like he didn't want to talk. So you shrugged it off. You exclaimed, "Good luck on your runs today boys! Be careful, I will see you at dinner."

This was a ritual you had formed when you had come to the Glade a few months earlier. From the beginning, you had been intrigued by the Maze. Moreover, you had quickly grown close to Newt and Minho grew on you, so you made it your mission to see them off. Well, to see them off and make a silent promise that they would return that night.

Minho put his hand on your shoulder, assuring, "I'll be fine, just don't eat my dinner, got it (Y/N)?"

You nodded and he turned around, running around the corner as your gaze turned to Newt. He looked distracted, not a good way to go into the Maze. He seemed stiff and nearly sickly. You acted on a whim, giving him a quick hug to try to cheer him up before he left for the day.

He tensed even more so, you felt him pulling back so you let go and he sprinted away from you, not saying so much as goodbye. You tried shrugging it off; he was probably just having a bad day and needed the run to clear his mind.

The day passed relatively quickly; you had to patch up Archie, a Slicer, after he busted up his thigh pretty badly, not badly enough to lose the opportunity to make a few innuendos though. But you laughed with him good heartedly; he meant no harm by it. He was a funny kid anyways and you two got along well. Other than that, it was mostly Clint, Jeff, and you stocking up and helping out around the Glade.

Around 1 PM though, you saw something odd from the Homestead window. You saw Minho running into the Glade yelling. You ran down, taking a small kit with you figuring he hurt himself out in the Maze. Yet, as you neared, he appeared more panicked than injured. You watched as he pointed to the Maze and you and Alby came over at the same time.

Finally, he was within earshot and yelled, "I need help you shuckin' good for nothing shanks. Someone needs to come with me and help him!"

You ran up to him and watched his frantic state, grabbing his attention as Alby screamed over him, "We can't do anything if you don't slow down Minho. Now explain what's happened and speak slowly."