Loosing Hope

~-T-~

*Triggering*

"Where is he?" Newt asks, leaning into the opening of the Maze, looking down the corridors as far as he can. Nothing. There is no sign of life in the labyrinth.

"I should have gone out there with him," Thomas mutters, his forehead creasing with worry. His voice is faltering as he says, "he made me stay here."

Newt's eyes widen and he looks like he's seen a ghost. "That's what I said." You don't say anything, but you can't help but wonder what he's talking about.

That's exactly when Minho walks out of the Maze. He doesn't run. He walks. And he walks right past the three of you, not bothering to lift his head to look at either of you. He only stares at the ground in front of him.

"Minho?" you ask, walking right behind him.

"Not now, Y/N," he waves you off and continues walking. You turn around and look at Thomas and Newt, feeling helpless and confused.

"He's acting just like I did, Tommy," Newt says, but Thomas looks just as confused as you feel.

"What?"

"I'm gonna tell you guys something, but it's only because I'm worried about Minho," he starts. "Towards the beginning, I climbed up one of those walls and jumped off. I wanted to end my bloody misery, but it only resulted in breakin' my bloody ankle. Minho is acting just like I did before I did it. I even told him to stay inside the Glade so I could do it, but he followed me and found me after I did it."

--------------

"Minho!" Thomas shouts. The depressed Runner turns around, gives us a sad look, and goes back to playing with his food. He doesn't put a single morsel in his mouth, but Frypan insisted he took a plate.

You three sit down at the picnic table next to him, trying to act cheery, hoping to get your friend to at least smile. It doesn't work.

"What's going on?" you ask.

"I don't want to talk about it," Minho shrugs, staring only at the green beans on his plate.

"C'mon," Newt adds.

"Just leave me alone."

"We're not leaving until you explain what's going on in your jacked head," Thomas persists. You give him a little grin.

Minho looks up at the three of you, rolling his eyes. "Fine, because I know Thomas is the biggest shank of all of you when it comes to getting his answers."

Thomas winks at you and Newt before returning his gaze to the Keeper.

"I'm losing hope, guys," he says, his voice cracking. "I'm beginning to think we'll never get out of here. There is no change in the Maze, ever. It's always the same pattern, even with the walls changing. There's no way to get out. We're never gonna find it." A tear slips out of his eye, surprising you. Minho is one of the toughest guys here, never showing emotion and always hopeful that there is a way. But he's breaking right here in front of your eyes.

"We'll find a way," Newt says quietly.

"I hope so, or I'm gonna go crazy."