Promise

×~T~×

Earlier that same day you had been very excited to welcome the new greenie. He was the 12th boy to come up since you were introduced to the glade, meaning that you had been there a whole year and you had to admit that although the first month had been torture, you were lucky to have such great friends to help you through it all.

You had quickly established your place in the glade routine, becoming a runner in less than two weeks of arriving, and although some were skeptical about letting the only girl run the maze everyday, most were supportive, especially Minho. He enjoyed your company and you enjoyed his.

Minho was your best friend, you adored him, which sometimes could be mistaken for love. However you were actually in love with some one completely different, your other best friend, Newt. The same Newt that was walking your way at that exact moment.

'How are you enjoying the bonfire then Y/N?' He asked, placing him self down next to you and passing over his jar of 'Gally's special drink'.

You sipped the disgusting concoction and passed it back, 'It's great! It marks my one year anniversary y'know.' You looked over at the boy sitting next to you. You couldn't believe that some one so beautiful could even exist, and the way the bonfire light lit up his features made him look even better.

As the night went on, you and Newt sat there in a comfortable silence, just enjoying each others company. You two didn't have much time to be with each other recently so it was nice to be alone for a while.

A good few mouthfuls of Gally's drink later, you were both very giggly. You had rested your head on Newt's shoulder and then, before you had time to think about it, it was happening. You had looked up at the gorgeous boy, just as he looked down at you and within a matter of seconds you were placing a soft kiss on his lips. It only lasted for a couple of seconds, but during that time both of you had sobered up enough to fully realize what you were doing.

Almost instantly after pulling away, Newt was gone, leaving you alone and confused, the only words he had said being 'no, no, no'. You had seen the direction he had gone in and had you not known him so well, you would have lost him in the crowd. But no, you knew exactly were he would be going. Every time he felt scared or upset, he always went to the same place. A specific spot on the outskirts of the forest where he could see the entirety of the glade, but you could not see him. So after about and minute, you got up and went after him.

When you got there, you saw the boy you loved curled up at the bottom of a tree, his head in his hands. However he must have heard you arrive because, he got up and turned around with out a word. He clearly didn't want you to see him in such a state.

'Newt please talk to me' You pleaded, 'I'm sorry, I shouldn't have kissed you, it was just a heat of the moment thing! If you want, I wont talk to you anymore, y'know, so it's not awkward?' You went on like this for a good minute before he turned around.

'Y/N, its my fault. I should have told you sooner.'

You stopped rambling.

'Told me what sooner?' You questioned.

'I love you Y/N. I always have. Ever since you set foot in the glade, I knew you were special. But then you became a runner and I had to try and put a stop to those feelings in case you didn't make it back one day. I was just scared of losing you.'

You were shocked. You had never expected him to say that. In fact you thought he was just going to tell you to leave him alone.

'I love you to Newt' You whispered. This time it was his turn to look shocked. And again, you were kissing, just like earlier that evening. It was soft and sweet and loving.

'I promise' You began, 'That I will always stay out of danger in the maze and that I will always make it back in time. I will never leave you and I will never do anything to hurt you' You said resting your forehead against his.

'And promise to keep you safe and love you forever.' He stated.