Shucking Loser

~-T-~

"That shucking shuckfaced klunkhead shank shuckface...." Try as I might, I couldn't think of anything else to call him. Or at least anything strong enough. It was times like these that I wished I still remembered curses from my old life. There had to be more than only five insulting phrases to use.

Minho, who was sketching out the days run in quick, precise strokes looked up. "Need a hand there? You seem to be running out of things to call Gally."

"That shank is lucky I'm not storming out there and killing him right now!" I continued furiously, ignoring Minho. "You came pretty close five minutes ago," he observed.

Muttering under my breath, i pulled a piece of paper angrily from the spare pile and started slashing corridors and turns viciously on it. Behind me, Minho made a noise of mild alarm, but my mind was on Gally.

I had no idea what his problem was. Ever since a couple of months ago, it had seemed like Gally was out to make my life in the Glade miserable. And the worst part of it was that there was still a part of me that still found him attractive - just like it had when he'd pulled me from the Box four months ago.

"Shuck him!" I kicked the memory hard from my mind, as well as the Map Rooms centre table. A jolt of pain shot up my leg and Minho glanced up from the box he was tucking away.

"Shuck him? Like literally, or figuratively? Because -" He caught the look on my face and changed tack abruptly. "You know what? I think I'm going to grab dinner," And with that, he slipped out of the Map Room, leaving me alone with my rag-filled thoughts.

Glancing down, I realised that the map id started had dissolved into a tangle of angry black lines. My pencil tip had snapped in two. With a sigh I grabbed a new one and a fresh piece of paper, but what I ended up writing wasn't a map.

"Reasons why I hate Gally"

Charming title I know.

1. He's constantly taking his shirt off. Ill be just going about the Glade, minding my own business when i pass Gally and he suddenly has to be halfway through the motion of sliding his shirt off. Slowly too, revealing his shucking muscles and shucking abs and shucking everything. And then for the rest of the day his upper body will be imprinted in my mind, flashing up unexpectedly at the worst of times. In the Maze, even. Does it look like i need the distraction when trying to remember which way to turn and when to write down the lefts and rights? I bet he doesn't even know how many times I've nearly gotten lost because i was thinking about him, the shuckface.

2. Ill be talking to another boy, usually a Greenie, showing them around and stuff, when suddenly Gally will appear. Completely interrupting me in that brusque way of his, not letting me talk to anyone for more than five minutes. Cant i just carry a conversation without his shuck face intruding? And I feel like he warns them off me when I'm not there, because they usually don't even bother to talk to me anymore. Whenever i try to make conversation they turn away with a worried look on their faces. Its because of Gally. I know it. Trying to make sure i wont have any friends. Except Minho, Newt and Alby, cause they're the only people not willing to put up with Gally's klunk.

3. Gally's always in a really shuck mood whenever i go to start running the Maze. Not that he's not always in a shuck mood, but you know, even more than usual. He'll snap and grumble at me all throughout breakfast, knock my Runners back pack off the table and just be a real pain. What's his problem? He's completely fine with the other Runners, especially Ben, and its always me he seems to be bothered with. He has no right to act like that just because I'm the only girl. I deserve my position as a runner, I was chosen by the Keeper and -

"Y/N? Are you in there?" A very familiar voice said and from outside the door. id been so absorbed in my work, I hadn't heard the boy approach. Before i could stuff the incriminating paper out of sigh, the door opened and Gally walked in.

"Gally!" I jumped to my feet, the paper still clutched in my hands. To my horror his eyes went right to where his name was clearly visible, scribbled multiple times all over the page. Gally smirked.

"Were you writing about me?"

"What? No I just -" Quicker than id thought possible the paper was tugged away from me and he was reading it over laughing. "So the image of me shirt less is imprinted in your mind huh?"

My cheeks flushed redder, "That's not true!"

"Says right here," he laughed.

Without another thought, I lunged for the paper again, succeeding in grabbing it, but the force knocked both of us backwards onto the map table. I landed on top of him, grabbing hold of his shirt automatically to keep from slipping over. I felt his hands come up on either side of my hips, steadying me.

We locked eyes. For once I stopped thinking about how much he annoyed me, instead focusing on incomprehensible things - like the way his touch was both gentle and firm, keeping me from falling, how his eyes were so much depthless up close and the way he smelled like cut grass and stone and pepper.

Before pulling away could cross my mind Gally was speaking, and quickly - like he was trying to get all the words out before i inevitably stopped him. "Do you know why i hate you going out into the Maze? Because I'm scared for you, scared for your life in ways ive never been scared for myself before! I cant focus on anything while you're out running through those shucking walls and risking a life that you should have too. And I'm always there to warn the other boys off you because you don't see the way they look at you. Like they want you, like your theirs, like they need you. You don't hear the way they talk about you, the way they think they're in love with you.....like I-I'm in love with you," The last few words came out in a whisper.

I couldn't help staring at him in shock. His eyes met mind, more vulnerable and fearful and nervous than id ever seen him before. The rise and fall of his chest was quick, heart pounding against mine so closely I couldn't tell whose was beating faster - mine or his.

At last i found my voice, "You really feel that way?"

In the sincerest tone id ever heard him use, Gally whispered. "Since I pulled you from the Box."

And then - I wasn't sure how it happened - we were kissing. My mind went completely blank, memories and even my name forgotten, just like my first day in the Glade. All I could feel was Gally. My hands were still pressed into his shirt, and I felt his lips press tentatively against mine - almost as if he was asking my permission. The tenderness of that gesture only endeared me to him more. I leaned down closer to him in response, and then he was kissing me earnestly, arms around my waist, like it was all too good to be true. I wasn't sure I completely believed it myself.

He pulled away and I rested my forehead on top of his. "You're sure about this?" he asked softly, as my hair fell around us like a curtain. "You don't - hate me?"

I shook my head. "Not since you pulled me out of the Box."

He lit up with a dazzling grin, and I pressed my lips back to his with an answering smile.