07 | Rumor Has It

Start from the beginning

Willow rolled her eyes. "I don't know, but what I do know is that you can't be buying things here until we're sure that you're not related to a pirate—especially that one," Willow declared. "It's bad business."

"But-But Lucy's sick!" Indiana cried out in attempt to convince her. "I need this medicine. You don't understand! Please, Willow. I don't know what kind of sick joke this is, but I really need this medicine."

As Indiana said this, she couldn't help but notice a familiar, yellow-eyed Shadow creeping around behind Willow as the girl pleaded. Indiana would've gasped if she weren't so upset over the fact that no one in the market was willing to sell items to her. As Indiana continued to fuss and beg Willow, the Shadow suddenly lurched forward and began to pull at something black behind the woman. That's when Indiana realized. The Shadow was tearing off Willow's shadow.

Indiana let out a loud and audible gasp, causing her to nearly drop everything she was holding out of shock. She had no idea the Shadow was real or that it was murderous. She hadn't seen the Shadow since she was eight-years-old. The only recent memory that she had left of the Shadow since then were all in her dreams, but those dreams of Neverland hadn't been occurring since Indiana's 12th birthday. She's always assumed that the Shadow was something her younger-self made up.

People of the village began to crowd around the scene in horror, shocked and fearful as the Shadow flew off into the distance.

"That girl's a witch!"

"She called that Shadow! It must be some pirate trick!"

"She's dangerous!"

More and more people shouted terrible things at her. The more they did so, the closer they got to the child. It was like they were going to tie her up and set her body on fire, just like the stories Lucy read her to scare her as a child. Nonetheless, Indiana did the only thing she knew best in a situation like this. She backed up and she ran, keeping a firm grip on the items she was now stealing.

"Great! Now that Indiana Jones is a thief!"

"She has to be taken down before she hurts anyone else!"

Shaky breaths escaped her mouth as Indiana bolted back home. Her whole body vibrated with fear. Indiana had heard plenty of rumors about herself back in the day, but they were always small and pathetic because they were created by the bullies who had brains the size of her nail. Indiana had never experienced something like this before in her entire life.

Indiana sprinted as fast as her legs could carry her until she finally reached home. Luckily, no crazed protesters were there... yet. This meant Indiana had a chance to explain herself to Lucy before they got there. However, Indiana's luck just wasn't apparent that day.

For when Indiana busted in through the front door, she was greeted by her best friend and idol, Aunt Lucy Jones' shadow getting ripped from the seams of her body.

Eyes widening, the 12-year-old dropped the items she just stole and ran toward Lucy as the Shadow quickly flew away. "Aunt Lucy!" Indiana cried out, holding her hand. The woman stared at Indiana with a scared look in her eyes.

"In...die," Lucy managed to say. "Someone's...out... to get you..."

"What-What do you mean? Why were you out of bed? We need to get you help!" Indiana exclaimed. "Who do we call when someone just ripped out your Shadow?"

"There's...a weapon...in closet..." Lucy continued to spit out. "Take...Protect...yourself."

Just like that, it was as if all the life had just suddenly disappeared from her body. "No, no. I can't do this alone. Why, now? Please wake up!" Indiana exclaimed. "Aunt Lucy!"

Shakily, Indiana decided to listen to what Lucy had told her. In her closet, there was a box with Indiana's name on it. Within it was a letter that said, 'This is coated with some of the strongest poison magic has to offer. If it chooses you, it will never hurt you. Protect yourself. Be safe. Happy 13th birthday.' It was most likely her gift for when Indiana became a teenager, but Lucy would never get to give it to her. Then again, who gave a 13-year-old a whip for their birthday? That's Aunt Lucy for you.

Within the box along with the letter was the weapon that Indiana would carry with her for the rest of her life. It was a long, brown whip. The whip suddenly glowed, making Indiana think that it chose her—just like the letter said. Shoving the small letter in her pocket, Indiana took the whip and carried it back out. She stared at Aunt Lucy's body sadly.

No matter how hard the girl tried, Aunt Lucy wasn't waking up. She was dead, just like Willow from the market. And now, Indiana was, too... metaphorically speaking. She felt like someone had shot her in the head when the villagers appeared at her door, most likely ready to tell Aunt Lucy to throw Indiana to the streets.

However, all Indiana heard instead were gasps. Instead of consoling her, the villagers began to shout again. "That Indiana... she murdered Lucy Jones!"

Indiana snapped her head back. "No I didn't! And I didn't murder Willow!" Indiana shouted. "It was the Shadow!"

Indiana shook her head. Before she knew it, she was pushing through the people to run out the door. No one seemed to grab her because they were now afraid of her.

'Just who is this Killian Jones?' Indiana thought as tears dripped from her eyes. 'I'm going to get my revenge... one way or another.'

➖➖➖

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

indiana's been framed! :O

at first, i was thinking to give her a sword, but then i thought "HELLOOOO this is indiana jones!!!" so now she has a whip.

and i will literally murder all of you who comment "watch me whip, watch me naenae" i stg

anyways this is when indiana starts to live life on the run. she'll finally be going on adventures n shit, so get excited!